1/32 RNZAF A-4K Kahu Skyhawk

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the way you've painted this. There is a lot more going on than it seams initially. Looking closely at the photos, one can see subtle shading, fading, and other weathering effects that are very effective but not heavy handed. It can be hard to make a single color scheme interesting but you have done so, very compelling to look at. 

GDW there seems to be several different buckets of paint used to paint these at base Ohakea..the ones in the museums all seem to have different panels painted with different shades..sort of like accidental camouflage!

el1pie.jpg

Edited by hamfists nz

On 8/17/2018 at 1:47 AM, hamfists nz said:

GDW there seems to be several different buckets of paint used to paint these at base Ohakea..the ones in the museums all seem to have different panels painted with different shades..sort of like accidental camouflage!

el1pie.jpg

Great picture. I am eagerly awaiting the coming storm of NZ Skyhawks to the pages of LSP. Seeing the different approaches to rendering the overall green paint job will showcase various painting and weathering techniques, which I love to read about here. 

01 in particular is very patchy. Also to be noted is the different font used for the serial on the tail and forward fuselage. In the decal set I have created for this airframe I included the traditional font and this variant as she appeared at different times with both.

Edited by KitmodellerNZ

The kiwis went all out spending money on them in the 1990s to make them relevant in the modern world. They included a modern radar like the one in the F-16..a ferranti HUD and glass screens..targeting computers. Some of the survivors are still flying for Draken doing contract training in ACM in the USA..

..the humps were an avionics bay added to the scooter in the 70’s to put various new technologies of the times into the jet that couldn’t fit. By the 1990s the ‘tech’ that was in the hump could be housed in a shoebox..and the hump actually spoiled the roll performance of the aircraft a little. The kiwis decided to remove the humps altogether..some of the ‘G’ models acquired from the Australian Navy, never had them to begin with...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...