Revell Mustang

Bruce_Crosby

Hi Guys,

Spending a happy evening sticking on the teeny weeny bits like nav lights. And once again I managed to drop one on the carpet! Glasses on, turned on the torch facility on the iPhone and luckily, very luckily found it in a couple of seconds.  All on now, used Gator's Grip PVA to attach the parts.  I also took the masks off the three ID lamps on the underwing and now I've painted all the relevant clear colours.

Tomorrow I will be fitting the bomb rack sway braces, having already destroyed one set.  Luckily Revell provide two types although the difference is negligible. Once they are painted it's down to the mast behind the cockpit, the aerial wire and main canopy, the main undercarriage and the final thing to go on will be the prop. I'm hoping to have it finally assembled for Thursday evening for our local IPMS meeting.

Well, that's the plan!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

An early start this morning as it's all bright and sunny.  Weather forecast is rain coming in from the west, which is where I live so I'm expecting the good light to go any minute!

It's last knockings on the Revell Mustang and today is Aerial Day!  I've drilled a hole in the leading edge of the fin and here's the one in the canopy the lead passes thru.  it's a matter of assembling the minor parts inside the canopy, threading the E-Z line thru then somehow fixing the aerial ends and the canopy at the same time.  Don't have a clue how I'm going to do it yet!

27951918808_d3eca704d6_c.jpgHole in one by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

On its legs temporarily just to see how its going.  I forgot to paint the little inboard door jacks so that's probably next this morning.

url=https://flic.kr/p/JA2vXb]27952040988_087c82e737_c.jpg[/url]Getting there by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Lots of trials and tribulations with this kit and the 262 from Revell but both a lot of fun to build and paint, definitely worth the asking price!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

Another problem: Can't get the canopy to sit correctly in the full open position as the canopy itself won't sit outside of the fuselage taper around the back end of the cockpit recess.  As it slides back the rear of the canopy should drop, guided by the slot in the rear upper fuselage, the canopy sides should fall down past the fuselage taper.  It just won't do it!  Looking at photos of parked Mustangs I see lots have the canopy only half open so the back end hasn't dropped much yet,  I think that's going to be the position I'll go for so the cockpit interior can be seen clearer than trying to look thru the clear but distorted kit canopy.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Bruce,

For the canopy to sit correctly in the open position, you need to thin down the inside of the canopy frame. If it still isn't low enough, you'll have to shave off a little bit of the fuselage sides. I know it's pretty drastic but that's the problem of all P-51D kits – excepted maybe the 1/32 Tamiya.

HTH

Q

Hi Q,

Not going to happen! Way too much paint on to change things now but I'll know for the next kit. And there will be one, this is only a practice model.

Your model is coming along nicely, I'm following with interest how you tackle things.

Right now I'm putting the bomb rack sway braces on, then the u/c doors and maybe the legs too.  Prop all set to go on too.  I have threaded the E-Z Line thru the hole in the canopy.  The process is thread thru canopy, cement front of aerial to seat back, position and cement the canopy in place then cut the line short and stretch and cement to the fin. Or cement to my fingers! Then curse and swear, unglue my fingers and start again!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby

Hi Guys,

Another day at the coal face!

Now the undercart is actually cemented into place, previously it was just poked into position.  The canopy isn't actually fitted but the E-Z Line is! So there's going to be a bit of playing to see where the canopy fits best.  Then we're down to the Pitot and that mast behind the cockpit. A few bits of paint to touch up and that's it.

41845240921_fc63c2e47e_c.jpgMore by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

41845241021_f0de50e2f5_c.jpgMore by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Onwards and Upwards!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby