Trumpeter Liberators on facebook

Guest Maxim

sorry, sponsons, not 'mini-wings'  :doh:

but 'mini-wings' sounds better  :lol:

Can you imagine having to dive that big hulk, and aim it at your target to get those rockets on track, then pull back out?  Wow! 

Does that 224 Sqn Lib have a non standard tail turret on it too?   (By non-standard I mean one that does not come on either the D nor J that Trumpy is putting out).

I can do a lot of different kinds of scratch work, but I think scratching up a new turret of any kind would most certainly be beyond my own skill-set. 

yes it has got a Boulton paul four .303 gun turret

it is tricky finding pics Js where you can see the rear turret and the rest of the aircraft well enough to pick it as a potential subject

my book should arrive soon so maybe there is one in there??

yes it has got a Boulton paul four .303 gun turret

it is tricky finding pics Js where you can see the rear turret and the rest of the aircraft well enough to pick it as a potential subject

my book should arrive soon so maybe there is one in there??

Please do post that if you find one Nick!

I have done some very slight initial searching, but nothing in depth yet. Im hoping to make a nice camo and white CC Lib from whats in the eventual HB J boxing without having to to any turret scratching tail or nose. 

Hell, with the amount of variation and variants of the Libs, one just might have to pick one that is close, and go from there. I dont mind some window making, or other scratch building type work, but as I said, I think turret making is most definitely beyond me to do even remotely well. 

The first batch of Liberators allocated to Coastal Command had US turrets I believe - I read something on this the other night - must dig out refs again and report back...

When I was an Air Cadet, our CO, Flight Lieutenant Powleson, was ex. Coastal Command navigator on Libs - he was very fond of the Liberator.

Will definitely do a Coastal Command airframe - and may have to order that Japo book!

Iain

Iain,

i ordered my copy from https://www.aviation-bookshop.com

bit of an antiquated website, but direct ordering is possible.

The JaPo people were nice, but boy are they not helping themselves - i mean who on earth says 'we don't take Paypal'??

anyhooo, they got a sale I suppose, albeit by slightly indirect means

thinking B-24 D and RAF Coastal Command...

i would love to be able to make one of these options per Eduard's (1/72 scale) kit, with the rocket rails attached to platforms / 'mini wings' just below the cockpit!

they do look cool don't they?

40384571962_f5e3386734_b.jpg

somehow i just can't see any of the aftermarket guys stepping up for this project

the only person who might would be Roy Sutherland of Baracuda, knowing he likes a lot of navy type planes

Is that that Eduard one that's >$100 for a 1/72 scale kit?  Has anybody built it?  That seems an insane price for the scale. 

Is that that Eduard one that's >$100 for a 1/72 scale kit? Has anybody built it? That seems an insane price for the scale.

It was only released the other week. Comes with a lot of extras; sprues, thirty page booklet, etc.

Eduard instructions   https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/2121.pdf

Hasegawa instructions for Coastal Command Liberators with front turrets   http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10161795/40/1

Guest Clunkmeister

Just a thought Brian, but you could do a Canadian Navy Liberator, which were similar in appearance to the coastal Command Libs, but I think were more standard "showroom floor" US versions. I may be wrong, but I think the Canucks used regular .50s in regular production turrets, at least on North America based birds.

Edited by Clunkmeister

Guest Clunkmeister

Yes, the Boulton Paul turrets are a bit of a problem. I would love to do one of the Special Duties Liberators from 1586 Flight in Italy, but would have to seriously think about where/how to display it, and find the markings.

qX1wtrMl.jpg

HNFKP6O.jpg

I got my eyes on the Wimpy parked out back..   Cool stuff..

There's sure not much room for those guys who love to heave back on the yoke on takeoff. Tailstrikes look like they'd be a fairly easy thing to do.