HK Model B-25J Backdated to a B-25C/D, Fingers Crossed

patricksparks

On 5/9/2021 at 1:45 AM, Grissom said:

Hi Patrick,

Wow, that's some of the most convincing paint wear and weathering I've seen.   Do you mind sharing your method with us, please?   Awesome work!

Cheers,

Wayne

The weathers ring was done with the “Hair Spray” method, there are many articles on-line on how to.

Edited by patricksparks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

OK, it's back on the bench(for now)... I have put all the windows into the fuselage except for the navigator windows, I have to make a pattern as I'm going to be making "blistered" windows. I made a ventral turret with an extra chin turret from my HK B-17 E/F kit, also the HK kit yielded a astro dome as well... I started cutting off the lower rear fuselage to replace it with a vac-formed piece that is more rounded to emulate the early B-25s shape, I have to make a clear tail cone pattern as well.

DlNsIYu.jpgGuqZ8iN.jpgtMMOvIj.jpg

I am leaning towards these markings for the final version...

nsCfNmo.jpg3SQFNHF.jpg

I have re-done the art work to make decals for now..

oF3DJ1o.png

yt3OzA7.jpg

Edited by patricksparks

Just a couple extra photos of the fuselage with the new turret set in place and the kit's upper turret, which I think I'm going to reduce the height of it, it looks a little too high which it probably is being that it is a later version, I have to sand all the ribbing of it still and fortunately I have an extra one as well...

If anyone has information on the ventral turret I need to know what the ejection chute/chutes look like on the bootom of the turret, I know that the shell casings ejected out of chutes that were mounted below the gun barrels and lived inside the slots that the barrels lowered and elevated in, the disentegrating links had a seperate chute or chutes that fell somewhere between the guns on the bottom of the turret cover ??? I don't have a photo of the bottom of the turret and I'm not sure that I trust what is on the existing kits in other scales...

68PbMyb.jpg?1

gh7L7pe.jpg

hfuOCws.jpg?1

re8mp68.jpg?1

Patrick, I just had to go back and re-read from the beginning. Still mind boggling. The problem solving before even starting to attempt the airframe change is genius. And the interior work... all great!  Makes me want to finish the Prowler so I can start getting after the B-24. It'll involve much of the same effort, so thanks for the inspiration!

-Peter

Patrick - man this site (LSP) has a sh_t ton of great projects to look after; only so much time in the day.  And now I see this thread.  The B-25 is in my top 5 or so of badass aircraft humankind has invented.  If you are ever in the Seattle vicinity, the Paul Allen collection (Flying Heritage Collection in Everett) is a must see.  Their B-25, well it must be seen to be believed.

Am pleased to see what you are doing with yours.  And, employing a whole lot of skills that are reserved for master modelers only.   Tell me - how did you do that decal?  I dabble with homemade decals a good bit, with at best modest results.

I am an avid fan of Aircorps Library.  I see the B-25 is pretty well represented there, with thousands of engineering drawings, and lots of manuals.  If you pays your money (it isn't much), you may get many of your configuration questions answered there.  Careful though - it is addicting.  

Following this superb build.

4 hours ago, JayW said:

Patrick - man this site (LSP) has a sh_t ton of great projects to look after; only so much time in the day.  And now I see this thread.  The B-25 is in my top 5 or so of badass aircraft humankind has invented.  If you are ever in the Seattle vicinity, the Paul Allen collection (Flying Heritage Collection in Everett) is a must see.  Their B-25, well it must be seen to be believed.

Am pleased to see what you are doing with yours.  And, employing a whole lot of skills that are reserved for master modelers only.   Tell me - how did you do that decal?  I dabble with homemade decals a good bit, with at best modest results.

I am an avid fan of Aircorps Library.  I see the B-25 is pretty well represented there, with thousands of engineering drawings, and lots of manuals.  If you pays your money (it isn't much), you may get many of your configuration questions answered there.  Careful though - it is addicting.  

Following this superb build.

The art work for the decal was made with Microsoft 3D Paint, with a re-touched image of a smaller scal decal sheet, a lot of tweaking

Looks great! The lower ventral turret start looks grand, as I love the looks of things in that state honestly especially when things you've made or tweaked fit where they should really well.

16 minutes ago, patricksparks said:

The art work for the decal was made with Microsoft 3D Paint, with a re-touched image of a smaller scal decal sheet, a lot of tweaking

Thanks. I've been hankering for a way to blow up a scheme I like for a Mirage, and can only find 1/48th decals, so that might be a way forward. Did you use your own decal paper, or did you make the design and send it to a decal printer?

4 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Looks great! The lower ventral turret start looks grand, as I love the looks of things in that state honestly especially when things you've made or tweaked fit where they should really well.

Thanks. I've been hankering for a way to blow up a scheme I like for a Mirage, and can only find 1/48th decals, so that might be a way forward. Did you use your own decal paper, or did you make the design and send it to a decal printer?

Thank you for your comments !!! I will be using "Bare Metal Foil" decal film as it is thinner than other brands that I have tried before.

Worked on the rear fuselage today, first I cut away part of the kit's lower fuselage to make way for a new vacuum formed piece with a corrected shape of the earlier model B-25s. I made the forward cut on an existing vertical panel line on the kit, I chose the line as a ballpark guess of what would be a good transition length for the symetrical round shape of the new end of the fuselage back into the more squared looking later fuselage bottom. I based the the upward angled cut front to back so the "half round" end of the vacuum form would meet the existing vertical sides of the kit fuselage.

HaVdsgg.jpg

The vac form pattern, made from ren board, made with less some of the sheet styrene wall thickness.TjR2y8L.jpg

hNOGfrF.jpg

The new vacuum formed cap...

p1O1UrC.jpg

izxfzXe.jpg

Added some internal ribbing and flooring, most will be invisible...

TT0PnUN.jpg

6DHhNYu.jpg

Had to make a new piece of skin for the top of the fuselage behind the horizontal stab as the tail gun position is gone now...

It is .020 styrene with some embossed riveting and glued some styrene square strip underneath  to make it a little more rigid..

l9fDHCu.jpg

7mvLxiG.jpg

RlsvZGM.jpg?1zfirYrk.jpg

Edited by patricksparks