Dragon/ AIMS 1/32 Messerschmitt BF110 G-4 2Z+GB Stab 1./NJG6..........Finished!!

monthebiff

Thank you all for you very kind comments. Very happy getting everything closed up and feels like a big step foward in the build completed. Managed to get the upper cockpit panel assembly fitted today.

20180303_171726.jpg

20180303_171740.jpg

20180303_171748.jpg

Should probably fitted it to the finished cockpit tub prior to closing the fuselage halves but reasonably happy with the fit in the end. Next up I turned my attention to the rear fusealge and as I am using the D1 boxing of this kit I added the replacement resin part.

20180303_171845.jpg

A really good fit and just needed a quick coat of mr surfacer and a few wipes with a sanding stick and all sorted. So with the rear fuselage sorted I turned my attention to the nose. A couple of upper nose cowls are supplied with the conversion for you to choose from depending on the airframe you are modelling.

20180303_122838.jpg

And this is a shot of the nose of the airframe 2Z+GB I am building from the AIMS instruction CD.

Bf110_NF.jpg

A bit of help/ suggestions requested here if possible please as if you look at the picture above and then compare it to the conversion instructions above then the gun exits look completely different to me as the holes in the cowl look much lower and in fact the cut outs appear to start from the bottom of the cowl? Also compare the positions to the camera aperture.

Here is the conversion suggested set up (please ignore the unfilled outer holes).

20180303_121138.jpg

So then I modified this part further and cut the holes out from the bottom upwards, once again please ignore the other holes drilled but compare with the camera aperture and then the picture above.

20180303_122548.jpg

And then I used the later version nose.

20180303_122548.jpg

Personaly I think the suggested option in the conversion instructions are wrong but it just may be reading the original picture incorrectly? I'm not sure which of the other two options I have played with is the correct way to go. 

A little confused on which one to go with so if anybody has any furthe suggestions or pictures they could share I would be very gratful for your help on this.

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff

A great build, and a great inspiration!

The angle of the Schraege Musik does look very steep, close to 90 degrees. The preview pages for "Nachtjagd Combat Archives 1934" include a page (p. 51) on the "invention" of Schraege Musik 

http://www.wingleader.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/samplepages1943part1b.pdf

After initial trials with SM at 90 degrees the vertical installation was found impractical, and the angle was reduced.

HTH, Richard

Andy the nose with revised air scoop is correct but is provided without the cut outs for the 20mm cannon option as then modeller has choice of this or earlier 17mm option. If you read the profile note for 2Z+GB I tell people that the cut outs are lower. The lower part needs to be modified kit part not the MK 108 lower nose - the lower nose for the use of 20m with revised air scoop does not have the 30mm side cartridge chutes

Andy the nose with revised air scoop is correct but is provided without the cut outs for the 20mm cannon option as then modeller has choice of this or earlier 17mm option. If you read the profile note for 2Z+GB I tell people that the cut outs are lower. The lower part needs to be modified kit part not the MK 108 lower nose - the lower nose for the use of 20m with revised air scoop does not have the 30mm side cartridge chutes

Thank you for the information John, I realise I need to use the modified kit part for the lower section but just used the resin lower part for ease of taking the pictures as I havn't cut the kit nose up yet!

These 20mm cannon conversion to early lower nose and revised air scoop upper appear to be field conversion all be it wide spread - the gun openings on 2Z+BB for examnple are in different places to 2Z+GB

Spent yesterday evening and notices these cut outs to be in different positions on different aircraft so yes I would agree with you in that it was probably a field modification.

So I will be using the revised air scoop with the kit lower nose, just need to get the filler out now and tidy my work up now! Once again, thank you for your input on this John.

Regards. Andy

Not to much bench time this week but managed to get the revised air scoop tidied up, I then decided it would be easier to build the FuG 220b fram work onto the nose assembly as I thought it would be easier to do now rather than trying to fit it to the assembled fuselage. 

20180311_133002.jpg

20180311_133041.jpg

And a quick test fit onto the fuselage.

20180311_133324.jpg

20180311_133440.jpg

20180311_133517.jpg

Tricky work to get both sides fitted, lined up and looking equal. Now need to add some weld beads and bolts here and there. Pretty happy with the results so far, I can now just fit the nose at the end of the build once the rest of the airframe is complete. The MG 151's can br removed and re-fitted with ease afterbuilding tubes inside the nose for them to slide into, also need to add the flash suppresors to the barrels but wont do this til the end of the build once I have fitted the dipoles and recievers.

As ever, thanks for checking by and comments/ criticism always welcome!

Regards. Andy

Edited by monthebiff