Jim Barry

Scratchbuilt 1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Back at the computer to make a few more parts. The prior landing gear was OK and technically worked to actually retract in a compound joint, but it sacrificed some realism to do this and since I'm NOT going to really carry through with the rest of what retracting meant (doors that line up perfectly , a hinge that snaps into place both ways  and strong enough to hold the weight of the plane), I decided to go back-to-the-drawing board and do a better job and ditch the idea that it has to work!. The fun is over. This is no toy! (ha ha)

Before (toy):

8ApVRb.png

After:  

y45jyU.png

In other news I just discovered the work of  Frank Mitchell last night. 

He's got some great build stories, tons of tips and seriously a half a century of aviation modeling behind him. Here's a link to articles he's written here. He is a member but does not appear very active lately. 

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/index.php?act=filter&field=author&data=Frank+Mitchell

Edited by Jim Barry

Hi Jay. Hi Iain, Thanks! Shapeways tells me my LG prints are in the mail. It's like Christmas when the parts come back. In the meantime I sand and prime or in the case of yesterday, I redo all the push rods I pulled out of the engine when trying remove the crankcase that I wanted to reglue. That's the second accident with the engine. It's possessed!  

Edited by Jim Barry

Guest Maxim

Speaking of Bearcat landing gear seen this on you tube yesterday:

Gotta love a Bearcat. I enlisted in LSP after stumbling onto your build. I usually hang out over on Britmodeler and am redoing an old Testors F8F (amoung others). Looking forward to seeing the rest of this build.

Cheers

Dennis

Glad you found this, Dennis. Good luck with your Bearcat work. I'll go check it out.   

(edit: I'm back from Britmodeller....Wow! Great work!!!) You are really honoring the plane, perhaps more than me and hats off for all of it in 1/48. That where I had done much of my plane modeling back in the 2000s. P-43. A-36, Bf-109 C and F, F7F and a Buffalo. I retired from that scale with a Finnish Hurricane but have a Ryan Fireball on the Shelf of Doom 

Edited by Jim Barry

Gotta love a Bearcat. I enlisted in LSP after stumbling onto your build. I usually hang out over on Britmodeler and am redoing an old Testors F8F (amoung others). Looking forward to seeing the rest of this build.

Cheers

Dennis

Hey Dennis       :hi:

Now this kitty can Roar!!! 

sWYqHp.jpg

EbdYlG.jpg

Sadly this all pretty well hidden behind the cowling. I just felt I owed a good effort at an engine since I got a pass with the Fury. I am officially sick of spark plug wires for the record. There are 36 of them!