Jim Barry

Scratchbuilt 1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Thanks, Rick. 

So progress on wings continues in the most traditional scratch building method: Wood! I used my little Dremel jig saw which makes quick work and no fuss.  It's all bonded with 5 min epoxy. It's so strong! Note some build up with sheet balsa to get desired form. 

nmCBez.jpg

More progress. Both wings on now and added more to the fuselage core including the engine cowling I drafted in 3D. This is a milestone of sorts being the first time I have ever added 3D printed parts to a model. Lots more to go! 

6QCXZy.jpg

epUh0i.jpg

Just for the record, the start of this thread has a comment from me where I hope to be done by Christmas. Well, I missed that mark, but no regrets. I did not factor in the puppy. 

Check out the cold here today. Very unusual for the coast. That's minus -26 C

wbGMH9.png

Edited by Jim Barry

Today I worked on the IP. The panel is a 3D print then a layer of clear plastic and then little cut out instruments printed on photopaper from a Google image  search on aircraft instruments. These are not exactly Bearcat instruments in the gauge holes. Keen eyes will note the compass has a jet image in it.  Thought I'd just admit that one before someone calls me out on it!  Maybe guilt will make me change but for now I got to keep moving. There is so much to do! 

n2Ebr4.jpg

Edited by Jim Barry

Wow Jim!!!  Just discovered this.  I love what you are doing here (one bicyclist to another, BTW).  I really must buy the Fusion 360 package and learn how to use it.  I used to use Catia back in my working days.  3-D printing could solve alot of my scratch building problems, and save some labor.