Tamiya Spitfires- HF VII and VIII

BloorwestSiR

Carl

Super work on the Four Props and with only three Spits under way, that mysterious fourth just might be knocking at the door.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter! I have a pretty good idea where it came from but how it ended up on the workbench with the others is another mystery.

Carl,

your props are certainly nicely painted, even though you seem to have gained one somehow. Looking a the four of them, one seems to have a completely different hub. Odds are that's the black sheep of the lot. :hmmm: 

Joel

Thanks Joel! I used semi gloss black and insignia yellow for the tips. The different looking hub is one that was already painted silver on the sprue prior to assembly.

Ok, I really hate decals and everything that goes with putting them on. One of the reasons I prefer using masks wherever possible.

I started putting the camo paint onto the Grey Nurse.

IMG_20170331_204011.jpg

The slight variations in the green will go away under a clear coat.

The Maketar paint mask set for the VIII includes the shark mouth. After studying them for a bit, I thought the best approach would be to paint the black sections first.

IMG_20170331_220056.jpg

IMG_20170331_220120.jpg

It was at this point that I realised there was no easy way to get the masks on without removing not just the cowling panels from the fuselage but the carb intake from the lower cowl would have to come off too.

I ended up repainting the cowl panels in their base camo colours and went for the decal option.

Before I got around to the disliked job of applying decals, I masked off and painted the remaining markings.

IMG_20170401_234841.jpg

I did the white bits in one go:

IMG_20170402_000207.jpg

Then the insignia blue on the roundels and fin flash.

IMG_20170402_001619.jpg

The unmasking:

IMG_20170402_002008.jpg

IMG_20170402_002414.jpg

The nose section was gloss coated at this point in preparation for the dreaded event.

Tamiya splits the shark mouth into five sections and their instructions say to start with the uppermost centre section. This didn't make sense to me as the lowermost centre section has a more positive reference point for locating it. So I changed up the order and applied that first, followed by the side parts, then the upper, and finally the centre.

Initially, the decals didn't seem to want to conform to the cowl but after an application of Mr Mark Softer and a hot towel, they eventually went on.

IMG_20170402_213810.jpg

They even settled into all the rivets and panel lines nicely too. I was pleasantly surprised and wondered if my dislike of decals was over exaggerated. Then I flipped the model over...

IMG_20170402_213826.jpg

It seems the decal solution affected the paint even though there are no decals in the area!??! The paint isn't bubbled or flaked, just bleached looking. This is a first for me.

Did I mention I hate decals?

Carl

IMG_20170402_213826.jpg

It seems the decal solution affected the paint even though there are no decals in the area!??! The paint isn't bubbled or flaked, just bleached looking. This is a first for me.

Did I mention I hate decals?

Carl

Did you hold the model in this area with the hot towel, Carl? If so, that could be your culprit. I've used the "hot compress" technique on Tamiya decals a few times with great success, but I've also had the hot, moist towel mark or stain the paint in various way, though mainly involving a not fully-cured clear coat. If the paint in the affected area is matt (flat), that could also be affected by the towel. It looks like too large and unrelated an area for it to be the decal solvent.

Kev

Grey nurse looks superb, I love that moment when you take off all the masking to reveal those beautiful painted on markings, it's pity about the decalling disaster, I'm sitting here at the moment putting stencil decals on my Mk.IIa and dreading seeing them with a matt coat on.

Cheers

Dennis

Carl,

The top side marking on the Grey Nurse came out absolutely fantastic. the Shark Mouth looks as though it was painted on as well. So someone who dislikes decaling, your a master at it.

I fully concur with Kev that the clear coat issue on the bottom had to be from the hot moist towel. For any decaling solution to do that much damage, you would have had to spill the bottle on your work bench, and just leave the model sitting in the solution for some time.

Joel

Did you hold the model in this area with the hot towel, Carl? If so, that could be your culprit. I've used the "hot compress" technique on Tamiya decals a few times with great success, but I've also had the hot, moist towel mark or stain the paint in various way, though mainly involving a not fully-cured clear coat. If the paint in the affected area is matt (flat), that could also be affected by the towel. It looks like too large and unrelated an area for it to be the decal solvent.

Kev

Hi Kev,

I think you're​ right in your assessment that it was the hot water that did it. I didn't hold it with the cloth, but it was resting on top of the container that held the water while I was fussing with the application. Although the only area that had a clear coat was the nose.

It's more annoying than anything, really.

Hi Carl,

Grey Nurse looks awesome. I've got to say I've never heard of using a hot towel on decals to get them to settle down in the panel lines. So I'll tell you that we both learned from how you applied your decals, just in different ways.

Keep up the awesome work!

Cheers,

Brady