He-219 A-2 Revell Quickbuild

dutik

All the PE goodies are in place in the UC bays:

he219-27xnqcw.jpg

Looks OK. The PE closed all gaps and seams and adds to the overall look of the UC bay. There is a long piece below each rim. The styrene ribs stick out a bit so the PE part does not sit flush (or it well get crumpled if you press it against the wall). Added small strips of styrene between the ribs and sanded them flush to the ribs before adding the long PE parts. Good fit now.

Could add the wings to the fuselage now. Wanted to get the things together within a month, but I decided to throw in another 10 days to add some pipes and lines into the UC bays. Not all the real glory, but enough to achieve a somewhat more busy look.

Enjoy

- dutik

This was easy, especially if you follow my advise about the large flat centerpiece. Most parts are just flat sheets pressed into the cavities of the UC bay. I like to fill the hollow PE boxes with styrene cut to fit to keep everything straight and square. This made is also easy to drill some holes to add the wiring.

Regards

- dutik

• 2 weeks later...

First UC bay ready:

he219-2880k3y.jpg

And how you will see it at the finished model:

he219-290mkhc.jpg

he219-30o6k3w.jpg

Please note: These are mostly just gizmos, not the original interior of the Owls UC bay. Just to make it look somewhat busy instead of a large empty hole...

Another note: If you want to build an exact replica of the UC bay check all references twice. I have seen really different outfits from different sources. Very noticable are the tubes running across the bottom from side to side: Some UC bay images of that area show them, other images just show a clear surface. Different versionn of the Owl or just port and starbord bay? Don't also know if the UC bays are the same at both wings or have a different layout. So check your references.

One ready, another one to go...

Enjoy!

- dutik

Guest Peterpools

dutik

Geez, how was I not on board before? Read through the build right up to this point; terrific work. I'm studying your approach, details and paint work as I'm finally in gear on my ZM Uhu.  Yup, your post on the my intor now makes perfect sense and I haven't really thought much about the wheel wells yet but I'm keeping a close eye on yours for inspiration.

This is my first real go a a German WWII aircraft and just understanding the color callouts is a learning experience.

WOW< the weight issue is absolutely daunting and your approach to solving it was surely a 'ton' of work - much that Ron experienced with his B-25. ZM provided as huge chunk of cast metal for weighting the Uhu that goes in the fuel cell and thank goodness, eliminates the problem.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Update (for @hworth18 :thumbsup: )

Duplicated the UC bay interior for the other bay. No need to re-invent the wheel, but it took still some time to cut, bend, fit, align all lines. Every part more than one time... :rolleyes:

he219-31fmzv9.jpg

Looks busy enough now. Not to forget that there will be installed also the wheel struts and retracting mechanisms when time has come. Shot it with primer. Have to check for flaws. If ok I will paint it, then seal it to mate the wings to the fuselage and paint the aircraft.

Regards

- dutik

dutik

Geez, how was I not on board before? Read through the build right up to this point; terrific work. I'm studying your approach, details and paint work as I'm finally in gear on my ZM Uhu.  Yup, your post on the my intor now makes perfect sense and I haven't really thought much about the wheel wells yet but I'm keeping a close eye on yours for inspiration.

This is my first real go a a German WWII aircraft and just understanding the color callouts is a learning experience.

WOW< the weight issue is absolutely daunting and your approach to solving it was surely a 'ton' of work - much that Ron experienced with his B-25. ZM provided as huge chunk of cast metal for weighting the Uhu that goes in the fuel cell and thank goodness, eliminates the problem.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Just as an aside, Peter, could you weigh that piece of cast metal and tell us how much it weighs, and where it is located in the airframe? We (Revell Owl owners) might be able to replicate this, when it comes time to get our models to sit on their own three feet. Thanks!