Railway gun “DORA� – 1/35 by Soar Art Workshop

elmarriachi

The painted main struts of the gun. The painting of these was a kind of logistical problem as it is really, really big... lot of paint and much to big for my paint booth ...  :) 

Also painted in German Grey, highlights with light grey, filtering ...

ssr6c777.jpg

3ts8uwa3.jpg

wl3imw6n.jpg

bxn32e6i.jpg

8xeok35j.jpg

97zckhkm.jpg

The engine room after the paint, some chains added at the hand rail ...

3enf5kbc.jpg

spjrd7f9.jpg

All the painting was made in a cloudy way, so that the black plastic was partially visibile under the grey paint. This gave some first kind of shadow to the big grey surfaces. 

Some light grey was used for adding highlights in the big surfaces, specially at the areas which were in the light.

The bluefilter from AK Interactive is a great product to give some variety in the color and makes it look more interesting.

Next step will be some dry brushing of all the painted parts with a lighter grey, then a pin wash with high diluted black oil color.

A final layer of future will be the base for the decals, which were made completely new, printed on a very thin decal foil and will be added next :) 

Cheers

Micha

I have seen the model built and it is really a super duper whooper model. 

The high cost of this kit is really immaterial because it takes so long to complete it, especially at the authors rate of speed and the vast amount of work to be done, that it is the equivalent of several smaller model kits which would cost more when added together.

Now, about installing a paint gun and motors in the model.... :help:

As I understand it,the Ruskies got it after the war and brought it back to Moscow. Installed in Stalin's private amusement park it served as a money making amusement park ride. Only Russian bigwig politicians had enough money to pay for rides for their children. To avoid the current purges they paid heavily for tickets. The rubles collected by this ride went to Stalin's favorite espionage projects.

It went un-noticed by allied aerial reconnaissance as it was painted in circus type multi colored stripes and polka dots. 

During the crises in the 1980's when the Soviet Union dissolved it was quietly stolen and sent to the country of Vulgaria where it still serves as a main ride in the Mal de mer travelling circus. Yes, they had to double track the entire railroad system of that mountainous Balkan country but it was worth it as the country loves building up its railroad infrastructure. Also since Vulgaria is so well hidden, it serves as a perfect way of transporting citizens out of the country in such as way that they do not observe any routes for crossing the borders. They are equipped with parachutes and off they go. There are other ways of crossing the borders both coming and going but if I reveal them to you I will have to kill you. Sorry.

© Stephen

Edited by ssculptor

Hello.

the gun mount with add-on parts also received its painting now. First Tamiya's German Grey, followed with light grey higlights and a blue oil color filter....

ezlgv6mh.jpg

gvy8mxc6.jpg

shgd8fqs.jpg

sbv3si5r.jpg

5ygt86ri.jpg

Also this part will wait for the print of the decals now, then I will spray on a layer of clear coat as base for the decals which follow next.

After a matt clear coat to seal the decals I will start with a light weathering - rust streaks, rainmarks, dust, ... 

But now it will pause a few days, as I will be on a bussines trip until middle of next week ... 

Cheers

Micha

• 2 weeks later...
Hello @ all.

finally, the new decals are finished and printed... and the first ones applied on the parts. The decals are much thinner then the ones used before. Here are some first pictures with the decals, still wet :) 

I think it was worth doing the additional works... let's see how it would look like, once all decals are applied and fixed.

wour92bo.jpg

ebg2kakt.jpg

4hx5d28s.jpg

3nt8tcdg.jpg

8wjb25dw.jpg

Next step is one more layer of "Future" to homologate the decals with the rest of the surface, then a layer of matt clear coat as base for the weathering.

Cheeers,

Michael

Hello @ all.

Dora received her decals now... not perfect, but much better then before although some are still a bit visible as decals. But after some weathering it will be ok I think! 

After the decals are added and a matt clear coat sprayed over it I have added some light grey dry brushing on the wagons, the bridge and the main gun itself ... 

So here it is - as it looks like now ...

tfe9qsrj.jpg

e23ibuug.jpg

cyl9gaqs.jpg

3ljjpsuw.jpg

xwsjw77r.jpg

pqwyojxj.jpg

n3umjam3.jpg

xoritbn3.jpg

2cmw2u5v.jpg

I think I will not add much more weathering to it .... I am thinking about some beige dust on the horizontal areas, some rust streaks ... but I am not shure. Maybe I want to keep it as it looks like now? What do you think?

Cheers

Michael