Hannants is listing a Revell Spitfire IXC

RBrown

So, I see the point, but would also point out that the Cromwell/Centaur(?) shown is not as complex as a Spitty. Perhaps a more suitable example from the same era would be a JS-II?

Sounds like a Tanky type conversation to me. Wrong thread perhaps?

I'm not sure that bit of current conventional wisdom is all that correct.  Just look at the retail availability of model kits to the average Joe on the street.  It's almost nil.  If you want a model aircraft, especially something like Trumpeter or Tamiya, you have to search for it, and you're not going to find it at Wal-Mart or the local hardware store.  The number of LHS's world wide is in drastic decline (the one down the road from me that was mediocre at best just closed up in the past couple of weeks).  You can't just make a casual model purchase in most parts of the US anymore.  I would maintain that the die-hard or semi-die-hard modeler like most of us probably represents the vast majority of kits that are sold nowadays.  

I still have a LHS. And when I go there, I see parents bringing their kids in to get models to build quite often. And I see plenty of adults there who are clearly just after something fun to put together, and aren't riddled with crippling OCD/AMS. I think there are still a fair few casual model builders out there.

Once upon a time maybe. But not now. And having done a fair bit of CAD, I can assure you that knowing what the shapes should be makes the work much easier than having to guess, adjust, fudge, adjust again...... and then still still get it wrong!! Talk about spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar......!!

Here's an example of CAD and not fudging it, I built the MK16 Low back fuselage when I was researching the Spiteful, The individual numbered frames were drawn in 2D CAD first from the original Supermarine drawings [ It took a fare while to understand their drawings as its a sort of plot chart ] and then placed in their correct positions using the chart which described their relative positions, it was all reading numbers here to create x and y co-ordinates then finally attaching a Bezier curve around the points. Of course in the 1930's they would have used french curves to join all these points to create a paper drawing.

The 3D image shows a surface that has been swept between some of the frames. It makes a massive difference to use correct info and you find the 'look' of the shapes just fall into place when compared to photos of the real thing. I used the same method to replicate the Spiteful/Seafang fuselage and it took a trip to the archive library at RAF museum Hendon to get some of the frame drawings that survive. The process of finding these was very complicated and the numbering system and the relevant drawings were not in most cases in a logical order.

Graham

Spitfire%20Low%20Back%20Fuselage_zpsirx4mk%2016%20spit%20Fuselage%20frames-Model

Edited by GrahamF

I foresee the planned Revell Spitfire as being a better basis for all of those late mark conversions that have been mentioned on these forums in the past, than the Tamiya kit. Partly due to cost, but also the simplicity of the Revell kit in comparison. I recall Graham has considered some in the past, and this may be a great time to churn out conversions for Mk 12, 14, 18, 21, and when/if a bubble top is done mk 18, 22, 24, plus of course various Seafires, III, 15, 17, 47.

The number of LHS's world wide is in drastic decline ...

J ... that may be correct in our "westernised" culture, for sure. But Japan and China are very different. The amount of customers whose homes I visit that are immigrant Chinese, Malaysian or Japanese here is quite large ... and a LOT of them are hobbyists of varying degrees. Although a fair number of them collect things related to Gundam, Anime and the like ... the collections that they possess provide excellent conversation starters - which inevitably gravitates toward models ... both in China and in Japan, stores abound everywhere. One of the reasons that companies like Dragon and Trumpeter can pump out multiple variants of different subjects so much quicker than companies like Revell is the enormous sales volumes generated - locally. Export is such a small sector of their business.

The market has grown so much that newer, smaller manufacturers are popping up in China all the time.

One of my current Chinese suppliers comes from a business visit my brother made there about 3 years ago. In a large 'mall' he visited, there were no less than 5 hobby stores all within 300-400 metres of each other. One particular place was comparable in size to a small supermarket. He told me that while he was enquiring of the store owner about a list of kits I had given him at the time, there must have been about 20-30 kits sold through the check out ... the owner said it was a not a busy time. My brother made a point of telling me that he thought I'd fit right in if I lived in China :D ... This guy is my current go-to if I'm looking for an older edition of a Dragon boxing including Magic Track. Apparently the main market over there loves the DS stuff and occasionally he gets left with older stock gathering dust - perfect for me.

Something else surprised me ... Apparently only one of the store owners was aware that their products were sold in large volumes overseas or had even considered selling overseas (my brother was trying to get contact details for me) ... in fact ... non of them have web stores and the only contact I have speaks English reasonably well but relies on his son for written communication, emails and such ... He even had to set up a PayPal account so I could transfer payment.

Rog :)

Back to the subject at hand: a new Revell Spitfire IXc.

Having just finished a Tamiya Spitfire VIII this past week, I would most welcome a simpler and more straight-forward IX providing that Revell doesn't screw it up like they did with their II. My issue with the Tamiya VIII/IX/XVI series is the requirement to build up most of the engine and mounting frames in order to get the front half of the model in place. Even with their ingenious use of magnets and metal pins and poly caps, I've yet to see a buttoned-up Spitfire look right unless the modeler glued the cowling panels shut, which eliminates a good 25% of the parts of the kit involved with the engine. I know I tried my best to use Tamiya's design with the removable panels, but I Will most likely just glue everything in place, which is a shame because of all the time devoted to getting the engine assembled, painted, detailed, and realistically weathered. For modelers that enjoy the look of the internal guts of the Spitfire, the Tamiya kit provides an excellent starting point. But for those of us that just like Spitfires and want something a little less crude than the out-of-production Pacific Coast Model kits (yes, I've built two of those too), then a Revell kit could provide a very enticing proposition.

I've built the Revell II kit and had to add all the necessary resin corrections (radiators, wheels, ailerons) and brute force solutions for the shape issues with moderate success (I'm most irked by the too-shallow rear canopy vision panel), so my question would be: can Revell issue a IX that isn't as badly researched as their II was? I'm afraid their track record is not a good one on this matter. Still, there's always hope.

Edited by Lee_K

Jennings I hear you on the LHS.... the closest one to me is 5 hours, and the next closest is 450 miles, 8 hour drive, so for the most part I'm stuck with on line purchases or as in the old days mail order....when I do make it to the store fronts, the owners tell me it is so hard to compete with the on line stuff, with rent, utilities, and the high cost of stock....it is sad.... I have never really had the option to go to a LHS and fondle new plastic...... I sure would if I could, I like to support these guys.... they are trying to make a living and do us a great service, I hope they hang in there..

Jeff

My local hobby shops. Not bad, but quite limited stock in all of them & no real choice. No Hasegawa, for instance, and very limited 1/32 indeed.

Small independent, mostly deals with train models; 0.5 miles away.

http://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/

Antics -decent selection, good staff but expensive. The only proper model shop. Lots of Trumpy stuff at reasonable prices. 4 miles away

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/2512_1_1461343.html

A small Modelzone franchise in WH Smith. Small, but real models on sale with Tamiya & Revell paints & tools. Very expensive. 4 miles away

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/brands/modelzone

Hobbycraft - not a model shop, but does sell Tamiya paint, glues, etc & small selection of Airfix kits. 5 miles away.

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/cardiff

Lord & Butler. For railway buffs. Superb place, useful for paints, weathering, etc. 6 miles

http://lordandbutler.com/

So Antics only proper model shop selling 1/32 Hasegawa, Trumpeter et al. Other places useful for bits of AM & 1/72 stuff. Airfix everywhere, Revell not hard to come by.

Having built five Tamiya Spitfires so far, and only without any mods, I think the idea of a less expensive option could be very worthwhile. There's enough variations on the basic airframe, that it could be very worthwhile. Especially if the overall shape is good.

As for the cowls on the Tamiya Spitfire not fitting well, I haven't had any challenges or fit issues with the pair that I built with the removable as per the instructions. Two I built had nose jobs and the last I just built the minimum needed.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Have, but not yet tackled the Revell Mk.II (with corrective resin and Xtradecals populating its box) but am looking forward to the Mk.IXc - a much more handsome machine.

Is there a clear resin replacment for the aft canopy part?

Whoever does a new tool IM Griffon version will get my attention. Yes, there's the Matchox/Revell and Graymatter upgrade set but a Griffon Spitty is really something I'd like to see from Tamiya or Z-M.

Tony