Hannants is listing a Revell Spitfire IXC

RBrown

Whoever does a new tool IM Griffon version will get my attention. Yes, there's the Matchox/Revell and Graymatter upgrade set but a Griffon Spitty is really something I'd like to see from Tamiya or Z-M.

Tony

Yes, mine too.  An announcement about an FR XIVe and PR XIX would certainly have me saving my pennies.

The UK has always had orders of magnitude more LHS's per capita than the US has ever had, even at its peak.  It's not at all unusual for a medium to large city (in fact, our largest city) to have zero LHS's in them.  NYC is devoid of hobby shops.  Back in the day there was Gateway, Polks, Sky Books, and a number of other places that catered to us (just in Manhattan), now they're all gone.

I think it's distance. The US is just too damned big!

I'm in Cardiff & considered to be out in the sticks, but I'm 2 hours away from the wonderful metropolis - and 8 million people - of London. Lord & Butler in particular had people coming from all over the UK to buy stuff.

I think it's distance. The US is just too damned big!

I'm in Cardiff & considered to be out in the sticks, but I'm 2 hours away from the wonderful metropolis - and 8 million people - of London. Lord & Butler in particular had people coming from all over the UK to buy stuff.

Two hours from London?  You're not doing that by car on the M4 are you?

Two hours from London?  You're not doing that by car on the M4 are you?

No! Train to Paddington.

Only a madman would drive in London. Pedestrians, Taxi's, buses, cyclists, congestion charge, bus lanes & the sheer volume of traffic scare the bejesus out of me.

Yes, lucky for you your steam-powered computer gave you global purchasing power, like direct buying from New Zealand. Bet the local Co-op didn't stock those WWI kits, not even Woolies back in the good old days.

The Revell Spitfire will be very widely available. Will probably get mine from Bristol Antics or Hobbycraft at Cribbs Causeway, as with the imminent Me 262 B-1

Tony

I'm just a simple Welsh boy from the sticks.  We've only just had electricity down here - just in time, my coal stocks were almost depleted.

Well I was in Wales this summer again doing my main other anorak [ Narrow Gauge Railways ] and found a very good model shop in Porthmadog North wales called Porthmadog Models and it was stacked out with big kits, I must say that they are fast disappearing in the UK generally and could count lots of shops that have gone, mostly model railway shops that also stocked kits, I can never work out how any shops in the UK survive that don't have a long queue of customers trailing out to the street, the costs are so high and relentless. A friend of mine was telling me about a model and craft shop in my home town in Medway in the 1990's that took on a lease in a well known shopping centre only to be told after a couple of years by the council that he had two units and not one and could they now have £40K ! immediately... Needless to say it shut down overnight.

Graham

Lendons - or Llanishen model shop as it's also known - has a steady stream of model railway customers. It doesn't have a great deal, but the ones it does have spend an awful lot of money on repairs & customisation, as well as bits & bobs. It's lucky because I think it owns the place, so no rent or mortgage, and lets the flat above as well. It's also a relatively prosperous area of Cardiff, so customers have disposable income.

Last narrow gauge I went on was the Brecon Mountain Railway in the summer. Great fun, proper little station they have in Merthyr. In the past I've been on Snowden and Talyllyn for day trips. Still a few more in Wales I've yet to visit.

Best memories are of Heath Park Railway, going round and round on a tiny little 5" gauge steam engine, when I was a nipper. It felt like 200mph!

Can't quite see Andy Hills of Antics, Bristol, being played by James Garner, but yes, I do try to support my local model shop if I possibly can!!

Tim

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  (Sorry Andy)

Can the moderators please consider moving this thread to *General Discussion* ?

Whilst the ups and downs of small gauge railway and Britain's dwindling model shop outlets is fascinating, if I stumbled on this drivel in a google search for Revell Spitfire IXc I would rapidly move on, likely never to return to LSP.

Not attempting to piddle on anyone's campfire and I do have a sense of humour, but...

...where are we heading?

Tony