F-16XL new kit in 1/32? Need input.

paul fisher

Ok, what don't some of you not get here? Nay-sayer, yea-sayer, does not matter and I certainly had no problem with it. It's funny how much text is so misinterpreted   in the forum world. 

The point was, one shouldn't base producing a kit or AM product based "solely" on a few nay-sayers, or those who say they would not buy one. 

Fair call on whether a conversion is viable or not Mike have no idea about the XL compares to the C.

On the SR-71 I think it's combat record(Vietnam,Middle East,Libya)it's non combat record(Korea,Kola,Germany etc etc etc)and it's world records speak for themselves.

Still staggered that an aircraft which has had influence it has both on history, aviation in general and simply just being the coolest aircraft of all time has seen very little attention and still only the Italeri kits aging back to the early 80's are the only game in town with regard to being remotely accurate.

Anyway didn't know you had participated in the a Skunk Works XL so will add that on the to get list.

From what you have said stand alone is the way to go and I'd grab one for coolness factor.

An F-16XL conversion at the very least requires complete upper and lower fuselage and complete set of wings. On top of that, there's the vertical tail, landing gear options, wheels, gear doors, and most importantly after the fuselage and wings; a correct F-16A/B Block 10 cockpit. Then there's the bit parts.

The SR's combat record (if you can really call it that) has more to do with outrunning Soviet missiles, which is near as impressive as a dog fight. Yes, the speed records speak for themselves and still stand. I am still trying to vision this beast in 32nd! 

Most agreed; there's been little attention for the SR, but it's a bit obscure (popularity wise) and is rather large in any scale. In 48th scale, CE did make the Exhaust, TD cockpit & wheels, and I recall a vac form drone at one time; all of which are long OOP and all of which can be done better these days. I have one started with all those upgrades. I even scratch built the wheel wells, but didn't get much further than that. I feel there's still a market for 48th SR-71 upgrade sets.

I was asked to come on board for the Kinetic /Skunkworks XL project as the design phase was kicking off. Wasn't interested at first, but Raymond made me an offer I couldn't refuse. We put a lot of work into it and it turned out pretty nice. I still didn't get all I asked, but there are always compromises with injection molded kits.

Edited by Viper Enforcer

Ok, what don't some of you not get here? Nay-sayer, yea-sayer, does not matter and I certainly had no problem with it. It's funny how much text is so misinterpreted   in the forum world. 

The point was, one shouldn't base producing a kit or AM product based "solely" on a few nay-sayers, or those who say they would not buy one. 

The connotation  of nay-sayer is someone who is negative simply for the fact of being negative or difficult, by definition "a person who habitually expresses negative or pessimistic views". "Can't be done", "doesn't stand a chance", "shouldn't even try". The question was asked if we would buy it. To say no, and to state your reasons why (as Paul said, "please feel free to post your thoughts)... is not being a nay sayer, just answering the question. I know there are those people in the world that care not how a phrase is put or how it might be perceived, but it has nothing to do about political correctness. 

Nor should a kit necessarily be produced by a bunch of people saying "yeah, I'll buy it", unless they want to put up some $$$ ahead of time like with a kickstarter campaign or something. Not producing it costs nothing, producing it and finding out the "nay sayers" were right, especially someone in Pauls situation, can be a lot more costly. 

And just as a litmus, I have in the stash the Fisher F9F-2, Sea Fury, and Skyray. Theres a 95% chance that I would buy a Fisher F11F Tiger if it were done. Same chance if they did a Super Mystere (I know, snowballs chance). Theres about a 75% chance I will buy the Photo Crusader conversion, funds availability being the deciding factor. Theres about a 5-10% chance that I would buy an XL kit. I'll never say never, but its close.

Edited by eoyguy

I do agree with Viper Enforcer about F-16XL conversion vs. full kit. I have one of the Wild Hare conversion kits and there is not much required of the Tamiya kit. I had planned, if I use the conversion, to take the left-overs combined with a Hasegawa A+/C kit and make an early F-16.

Back then, you could have bought the necessary replacement sprues for Tamiya F-16 parts you were going to use for the CE F-16XL conversion. That's what I did in order to still have a full F-16 kit to build when I was done with my XL. Never did start the XL, as the corrections were going to be quite an undertaking.

The connotation  of nay-sayer is someone who is negative simply for the fact of being negative or difficult, by definition "a person who habitually expresses negative or pessimistic views". "Can't be done", "doesn't stand a chance", "shouldn't even try". The question was asked if we would buy it. To say no, and to state your reasons why (as Paul said, "please feel free to post your thoughts)... is not being a nay sayer, just answering the question. I know there are those people in the world that care not how a phrase is put or how it might be perceived, but it has nothing to do about political correctness. 

Nor should a kit necessarily be produced by a bunch of people saying "yeah, I'll buy it", unless they want to put up some $$$ ahead of time like with a kickstarter campaign or something. Not producing it costs nothing, producing it and finding out the "nay sayers" were right, especially someone in Pauls situation, can be a lot more costly. 

And just as a litmus, I have in the stash the Fisher F9F-2, Sea Fury, and Skyray. Theres a 95% chance that I would buy a Fisher F11F Tiger if it were done. Same chance if they did a Super Mystere (I know, snowballs chance). Theres about a 75% chance I will buy the Photo Crusader conversion, funds availability being the deciding factor. Theres about a 5-10% chance that I would buy an XL kit. I'll never say never, but its close.

Thanks for word of the day lesson. Since you're on definition here; just saying "no" is a negative response; since you're stretching this out. In the interest of reducing "peripheral arguments"  I apologize to all the "Nay-Sayers". can we move on now   :innocent:

I'm in the less than 5% boat when it comes to the F11 Tiger and just about anything French; and before you misinterpret  "prejudice", I'm just not that big a fan of French aircraft; but I find the French people are fine. I would be game for a 32nd SR though. And Paul; don't use my wish for a 32nd SR-71 as "litmus", as it's just a wish. 

Hi,

It makes no sense to produce a "conversion" set when:

- more than 75% of the model must be replaced

- the donor kit is not cheap

- the availability of the donor kit is not guaranteed for years

- you have the technical capability to produce all parts

So, to me this part is clear.

With regard to the profitability of the project, considering the popularity of a smaller scale kit is just an indicator. Another indicator may be the sales of the X-1A/B...

Thierry

I might be interested in buying a F-16XL. I did a "correction" to the Revell kit several years ago. I made new wings, lenghtened the fuselage, etc etc. Maybe my article still exists somewhere here on LSP. IMO F-16XL is the coolest Viper ;-)

(-: Roy

Edited by Roy Noras

My opinion is the same like from many others here. Why don´t put all the money and effort, work into a type of aircraft, where we have more decal options?

I think about the F11 Tiger, Yak-130, MiG-17, MiG-25 or S-3B Viking...

Thanks

Edited by Tomcatfreak