Why I enjoy the "old" kits.

richter111

Those old Revell/Monogram 1/32 kits.  You know the ones, inaccurate, clunky devoid of details.

I absolutely love them.  When I build, it takes me back to the days as a kid in the 70's when I would slap a kit together in an hour, then spend weeks flying in the most amazing combat the world has ever seen, me, surviving against the entire Japanese and Luftwaffe.

Now when I build them, I get a chance to stretch the skills, and in the back of my mind, still get to be the greatest pilot ever seen on the face of the Earth.

Who's the same? come on, fess up!

I have that one purchased back in 2005 still sealed.  A hobby shop owner that I frequented in Duluth MN had a whole area of his hobby shop in the basement for storage, and forgot a stash of kits that he had in stock from the 60's and 70's.  HE sold me the kit for $10 sealed and gave me a 1/72 B-66 also sealed.  I opened the box, and it had the 1968 catalogue for Revell and a postcard you could send in with a dime taped to it and get a record with "Authentic" Japanese Zero engine sounds.  I wonder if I can take them up on it??

Nice, I have never done a actual Luftwaffe paint scheme.  I built the old Stuka painted it mustard yellow with brown spots for camo. More like ameoba blobs and patches, but for a 9 year old, looked pretty cool.  I also did not glue the spats so the gear could retract...

And here's an even earlier build - in fact, my first LSP build since returning to the hobby around 2006/7:

file-1.jpg

It's Revell's ancient Fw 190D kit.

Kev

Looks great Kev, sadly, now you know about riveting.....

Looks great Kev, sadly, now you know about riveting.....

I actually really don't like the look of most rivetting on scale models, and can't see myself adding them too often. I've only done one so far, which is kind of relevant to this thread, since the kit in question is even older than I am!

DSCF2429_zpsfgo3srcs.jpg

It's Monogram's 1/48 Wildcat, converted to an FM-2, and rivetted using Radu's Rivet-R. Even on this shot below, you can barely tell they're even there:

file.jpg

Kev

Those old Revell kits are what got me back into modeling back in the '70s.  Still love to build them.

Here is the Corsair, P-38, P-47 Bubble Top and Razorback that I have done more recently.  Also have a P-40E, Stuka, Hurricane, Mirage 5J and Harrier in the display case but no pictures of them at the moment.

Cheers,

Jerry   :piliot:

F4U1-33-1_zpsagdvgjfk.jpg

P-38J-8_zpspap85qys.jpg

P47D-B8C-1_zps2wzxsky9.jpg

P47D-MXW-1_zpsn4csmmaj.jpg

Edited by K5IKL

Nice builds, lads! I still have many more old Revell kits in the stash, with some mighty grand plans for them. The ones I've done so far have been among my most satisfying builds, and I have plans to repeat the FM-2 conversion in 1/32 scale using the old Revell Wildcat. My next old Revell build will most likely be a superdetailed Bf 110G-4 project, utilising Jerry Rutman's upgrade parts, and a stack of Eduard PE (and whatever else I can source when I get there).

Kev