Fly Models' Hawker Hurricane IIc

mattlow

Well, it's 1st April

What an eminently suitable day for me to start a WIP.

I thought there'd be loads of these being built but clearly not yet. I have recently completed a 1/72 Hurricane Mk I and felt in the mood to continue the Hurricane theme in the proper scale.

I'll have some photos over the weekend but I have made some progress. I'm starting with the more mundane jobs like thinning the casting block that the rather nice u/c bay sits on (it is now almost translucent) and opening up the case and link ejector chute openings in the lower wing.

Having taken fuselage and wings parts off the sprues I can say they appear to fit well as long as care is taken to remove all traces of the attachment points (some extend on to mating surfaces) and to give surfaces a general light sanding to even up surfaces - nothing you wouldn't expect on a short run kit.

No idea what aircraft I'll be doing, at this juncture it could be  standard or tropical, though I'm most tempted to do a night intruder in overall black.

More soon.

Matt 

Edited by mattlow

Good man, Matt.

I've been trial fitting and so forth without actually gluing parts together.

Not because of any problem with the kit itself, which could likely be completed in a weekend to a very competent standard, but mainly because I think there's a super-detailing potential there that I likely couldn't exploit to the full as compared to a Hurricane fan with some expertise of the type.

(Not trying to pressure you or question whether you are or not!!)

Plus hopefully some aftermarket such as cockpit placard style switch panels and annotated controls that dot the cockpit might appear.

I don't anticipate much improvement to the exterior skinning is possible, but then again someone who knows Hurricanes better than I might well change my assumption.

So far, other than cockpit additions, aileron hinges and maybe flaps for those who like them with some minor cowling and undercarriage improvements it seems to be an excellent kit - and at a bargain basement price. And to answer Thunda, the trop filter is in the IIc 'white cliffs' boxing if that helps.

Edited by Chek

Hey Matt, nice move.

I have to admit that I started my Hurry as well. I feel silly to open another never-ending topic, so I will just linger in the background, perhaps sharing some pictures if needed.

Cheers

Martin

3751_100801221550ec286ac8ba4.jpg

Edited by Martinnfb

Thanks for the encouragement folks. I shall try to keep this informative.

I am certainly not an expert in the Hurricane, so I may be asking questions here and anyone is welcome to chip in. If you notice anything wrong, do chip in - I may not take corrective action but it is good to know... :).

I am sure someone like Eduard could produce a magnificent replacement cockpit for this kit. However, what is there is pretty good and making additions will be more fun than shelling out for more resin.

Mundane task number one was thinning the wheel well casting block. This is necessary for fitting the part but as importantly the roof of the wheel well is the 'floor' of the cockpit. As it comes, the part will never allow the cockpit's framework to fit. Out with drill and drum sander... Crap photo, but it shows how thin I went in places. You'll also see I opened up the two 'windows' that allow visual confirmation for the pilot of whether u/c are up or down.

25585691414_ef3f82f99a_c.jpg

Unfortunately while I was cleaning a little resin flash off the inside of the bay I slipped the knife and gouged a piece out of the oil return pipe that runs over the compressed air bottle.

So I decided to remove the pipe and re-do it, at same time clean up the definition of the straps holding the compressed air bottle. Note none of this is necessary, I just made the best of my mistake.

Here's original Fly part (below) and mine after cleaning up my mistake (above). Note I also managed to knock a section of the fuel line off (this is quite a delicately attached part) so again decided to remove it all and re-do...

26190435645_da6ce7d1d6_c.jpg

Closer up of my bay after cleaning up my mistakes... 

25585690314_6d744a5927_c.jpg

So after butchering the u/c bay I moved to the wings to open the cartridge and link ejector chutes. Fly give you a well enough defined location, it just lacks any depth. It may be possible that these were sealed with tape or something (especially in desert operations) but I wanted them opened up.

Before

25917592570_9863e50540_c.jpg

After

26190443425_0e0839e7b5_c.jpg

25585694354_64f5f6dd31_c.jpg

Needs some structure in there, but that was the hard bit done.. Fly's plastic is also pleasant to work with.

Oops! Im sure it will look better with a real pipe rather than a molded one. :popcorn:

Fly's resin is very nicely done. I don't think I'd bother doing to add any extra 'realism'... a good paint job will suffice on the next one.:)

Matt I have experienced a resin shrinkage problem related to the gear bay. Looking at the picture above I can see a difference in width between the two parts, Is it only me or is one of them smaller?

Cheers

M.

26190435645_da6ce7d1d6_c.jpg