Airfix Hurricane 'rag wing'

mattlow

In an effort to never finish a 1/32 kit I have been toying with a couple of small scale kits to try things I'm too scared to do in the 'proper' scale.

So introduce the rather nice Airfix Hurricane Mk1. Goes together OK, though the upper and lower wing halves aren't the best fit (one appears a slightly smaller scale than the other).

Here she is in a primer coat, showing up lots of seams and other areas needing attention.

15425450650_1ed03f9f32_c.jpg

She's now in camo... one of the reasons for working on this scale was to brush up on my airbrushing..

This is freehand and so not as tight as the real aircraft would be, but it's 2 and a quarter times smaller than my standard scale so I'm not too worried :)

16022652919_c2f4749be9_c.jpg

16021384750_7e1ae71c54_c.jpg

16021231138_14e8f53de0_c.jpg

Final 2 photos...

15588887583_f7352f96ef_c.jpg

I love the aluminium, black and white undersurface... looks very classy....

Finally after having very little luck getting a tail decal to sit, fit or conform to the kit part - I decided to paint it... much easier and better looking..

16028307918_7b0bfbd35b_c.jpg

This is getting dangerously close to being finished... I shall have to think up an issue to prevent further progress... I've just sprayed her with Future, another thing I've been wary of and which has been holding up my Revell 109G (visible n a couple of earlier photos)...

More soon.

Matt

I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

It doesn't fall together and it needs a bit of tweaking (fabric effect shouldn't be visible behind and in front of gun bays), but in this scale it all takes minutes to rectify... quite refreshing..

I have an early version to convert into the prototype..

Matt

She's now in camo... one of the reasons for working on this scale was to brush up on my airbrushing..

This is freehand and so not as tight as the real aircraft would be, but it's 2 and a quarter times smaller than my standard scale so I'm not too worried :)

Not bad at all for 1:72 scale.

No Kev, it's the new(ish) Airfix 1/72 Mk 1.  Looks pretty good for '72nd doesn't it?

Airfix are going to be releasing brand new tools in 1/48 for the Spit and Hurri Mk 1s this year... so I'll probably have one of each...

Just managed to stretch a cotton bud tube down to thin enough for a 1/72 pitot, really impressed how easy it is to keep the tube intact down to pin diameter.

More to follow soon.

Matt