Tomcat; Tamiya or Trumpeter?

LSP_K2

At some point in the not too distant future, I'd like to build an F-14A Tomcat, probably in the markings of VF-41. I had a Tamiya kit at one time, and seem to recall that it was pretty decent, but I've never seen the Trumpeter kit details. There is one Trumpeter F-14A review in our database, but it's completely useless, so which is considered to be:

1. Best detailed

2. Most accurate

Thanks a bunch,

Hi Kevin,

Except the air intake shape that clearly asks for aftermarket correction, the Trumpeter kit is the best choice. The assembly of some parts (more particularly the gun hatches) is not easy but the Tamiya kit is far from being Lego-like either! Moreover, only the nose of the Japanese kit is engraved and the cockpit sides have no detail, just decals.

Hth

Thierry

It's old Tamiya vs new age Trumpeter.

If you want the flaps down get the Trumpeter and new Zactomodels inlets.

If you want swept or working wings get the Tamiya and a new (e.g. Aires) cockpit

TBH, the main reason for getting the Trumpy is if you want a B or D with GE engines.

Tony

Hi Kevin,

Except the air intake shape that clearly asks for aftermarket correction, the Trumpeter kit is the best choice. The assembly of some parts (more particularly the gun hatches) is not easy but the Tamiya kit is far from being Lego-like either! Moreover, only the nose of the Japanese kit is engraved and the cockpit sides have no detail, just decals.

Hth

Thierry

I'm intending to use an AM 'pit anyway, probably Aires or Black Box/Avionix, so that's not really an issue. The overall detailing of the Trump kit is nicer?

It's old Tamiya vs new age Trumpeter.

If you want the flaps down get the Trumpeter and new Zactomodels inlets.

If you want swept or working wings get the Tamiya and a new (e.g. Aires) cockpit

TBH, the main reason for getting the Trumpy is if you want a B or D with GE engines.

Tony

No need, the A is what I want.

Forgot to add, there's a bunch of review links on Scalemates...

https://www.scalemates.com/products/reviews.php?scale=1%3A32&topic=Grumman+F-14+Tomcat

HTH

Tony

Cool, thanks.

Both kits may be built to get a very nice result but personally, I prefer the Trumpy Tomcat kits. They are generally more detailed. For instance, all wing mobile surfaces are separate and the kit is fully engraved. The kits also have correct wheel rims whereas Tamiya ones are only correct for an early A. However, there are exceptions for which the Tamiya option is better, some examples being the exhausts, the shape of the intakes or the Phoenix front pylons.

In any case, you will need to rely on aftermarket to correct the problems of each kit. The most time-consuming issue of the Japanese kit for which there is no other solution than elbow grease is the need to scribe the main fuselage parts. Each option will ask for a lot of work if you want to detail it.

Thierry

Done both, each has good and bad.... Aftermarket needed for both....Have both still in the stash, trying to decide which i want to build. Big negative (for me) is the need to rescribe the Tamiya offering, did it once, not sure i want to do it again.

Don

No love for the old Revell Tomcat?  It's not too bad, landing gear needs a lot of love and attention though.

I had the Revell kit at one time, but when doing a side by side comparison with the Tamiya, the Tamiya kit just seemed way nicer.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a total Tomcat nutt myself and extremely anal in regards to accuracy considering the Tomcat and having both, Tamiya and the Trumpet on the table I can tell you that if you are going for accuracy then Tamiya will turn by far .... really by FAR!!! into the more accurate rendition of a Tomcat.

There are just so many wrong details and most of all hardly correctable shape issues on the Trumpeter, the only reason I haven't resold the two I have is that I got them for a lousy 50 Euros in an action sale a few years back and they do seem to be predestined for launch or trap dios. But they need really SERIOUS rework in many aspects against which the certainly bugging rescribe work on the Tamiya seems like a piece of cake. And even the extended spoilers are way to thick and have shape issues which actually means you will have just as much work correcting them as having to scratch them right away on a Tamiya kit.

Then considering that they are just as expensive as the Tamiya and that considerable extra money will then be needed at least for those misshaped intakes I just would say, that unless you can shoot a Trumpet for a price way below the 100 USD threshold the Tamiya is the by far better, less work intensive and most of all more accurate option.

There are so many buggers on the Trumpeter, I don't know where to start. The prominent Phoenix pallets are in my eyes beyond any chance for proper correction. Many panels are wrongly shaped, it's hopelessly overdetailed with rivets that are hardly or not at all visible on the original. The back end is wrongly shaped albeit not too hefty but still less correct then Tamiyas. The tailfins sit about a third of an inch too far back, the avionics bulge stretches too thin and too short behind the canopy, crew steps and panels around the canopy are wrongly shaped, nose pods have the wrong shape, the drop tanks are too long front of the pylon and too short aft of the pylon hence making them sit inaccurately on the wrongly shaped intake trunks.

BTW the old Revell kit is the only one of the three options that has the avionics bulge with the correct length and has not forgotten the ECM blisters on the rear main gear door. Tamiyas avionics bulge is a tad too long but that can at least be shortened. i don't know yet how to lengthen Trumpeters too short and narrow bulge. The cockpit tub of the Trumpeter is too deep making a potential crew look just over the cockpit rail with their noses like kids and some details in the cockpit are misshaped too.

Tamiya is old and lacks detail but at least it's in many respects almost spot on in comparison to the original.

Edited by bushande

I built the Tamiya Tomcat back when I actually finished models, and it was a really nice build. As far as the 2D decals, yes they are flat- but so are the pre-painted eduard panels you can buy. If you have a punch, you can liven up the Tamiya pit without too much work. Mine went together really well, and IIRC it had the different shaped bags for the wing sweep, so you didn't end up seeing thru the fuselage if you put the inflated bags on.