I'm In!

Alright, doesn't seem like much of an update, but the engine is 99.9999999% finished -- I should stop fiddling with it cause I might cause more damage then good at this point. All seams are filled to my satisfaction -- and I should stop filddling with it; otherwise, I might cause more damage!

I should be able to prime and even add the first color coat this weekend, but I'll have to head into work.

I have a love/hate relationship with Tamiya Extra-thin cement...if you look closely, the rear clear parts have some cement that creep'd pass the framing...but I'll move on...The windscreen will be added when the gunsight's finished!

L0uEpx5.jpg

up5EwmE.jpg

Edited by Shaka HI

Thanks gents...minor update after work as I get ready to prime and start the color coats. Somewhat disappointed with the seam in the canopy -- why is this? Sanded/polished, dipped into Future. I'll probably polish a bit more after the Future has fully cured -- it just looks way too shiny.

Now I'll have to choose one of the two schemes available OOTB.......decisions, decisions...

9WUEhOq.jpg

Funny that you ask..I've been wondering the same after priming the panels and tried a test fit...nothing is glued (engine is NOT glued to the fuselage). Fit's is good, but it's not perfect. I'm pretty sure some of the panels will not be placed into position when displayed. Too bad, because the line of this aircraft should not be interrupted when it's first observed/studied. When I build another Tamiya Spitfire, I'll probably forego painting/detailing the engine.

RabwPvl.jpg

The progress looks great Shaka. The engine area is superb. Such a precise, clean look to your paintwork. Respec' bro' :punk:

Somewhat disappointed with the seam in the canopy -- why is this?

That's the price we pay for a nice, accurate, bulged canopy shape. The Mk XVIe has a similar seam line to clean up.

Irritating but not insurmountable as you've proved. Interesting that you should find your canopy "too shiny". From where I'm sat it looks rather good.

May I ask how durable the AK aluminium paste is please? I've always thought that it wouuld n't handle too much interference withouyt some sort of sealing coat which would probably adversely affect the metallic appearance....? :hmmm:

The primer on your cowling panels looks uber smooth. Very cool. I'm eager to see more.

Cheers.

Edit: typos

Edited by geedubelyer

LOL..funny you ask, it's not very durable, but I didn't really expect it to be, so I did seal it with a coat of Future. I still think it looks good because there's just no "graininess" to it. I have some Vallejo metallic's, Alclad and variety of other well known stuff, so I'm curious how they compare.

I hate spraying metallic paint -- it's like sand, it's get into everywhere!

Everything primed...I hope I have some time this weekend for some color coats. Had the hardest time with the Badger primer today and I'm not sure why...clogged up my airbrush so bad I had to disassemble it to clean it mid-way...I hope I masked the cockpit well enough, part of the masking on the windscreen lifted, so I had to remove it and clean up the overspray....

I'm going to do do the black-basing technique..well I'll give it a try. It does look bad-ass all primed in black -- that's for sure!

b32UsKe.jpg

CV9P8ou.jpg

Edited by Shaka HI