I'm In!

I'll be watching your black basing work with great interest Shaka. I've never been a fan of pre-shading over panel lines, too often it was done without any understanding of differing positions on the plane etc., but this will, could, be a whole new thing! Good luck pal.

Max

Lovely progress on your build Shaka. The primer coat looks fantastically smooth. I'm looking forward to your colour coats

Funny that you ask..I've been wondering the same after priming the panels and tried a test fit...nothing is glued (engine is NOT glued to the fuselage). Fit's is good, but it's not perfect. I'm pretty sure some of the panels will not be placed into position when displayed. Too bad, because the line of this aircraft should not be interrupted when it's first observed/studied. When I build another Tamiya Spitfire, I'll probably forego painting/detailing the engine.

RabwPvl.jpg

As for the cowl panels, they should fit fairly well especially since you haven't added any extra details to the engine bay. Here's a pic of my Mk IX with the cowls in place using just the magnets as designed. They're still fully removable.

106c0e63.jpg

And off the fuselage during assembly:

IMG-20110901-00182.jpg

IMG-20110901-00183.jpg

I think the fit improves once the engine is cemented  to the fuselage.

Carl

Well, I thought give it try..effect is very subtle, but I think I started to lose some patience and got sloppy.  I'll need to adjust the airbrush/paint a bit more as well OR maybe an airbrush that can do much more finer detail work....(Looks too patchy).

HCKyvHj.jpg

Edited by Shaka HI

You look to have good control over the spray pattern to me Shaka. I'm guessing that patience is required? The first coat looks commendably thin on my monitor. Good job.

....(Looks too patchy).

Would a light overall coat unify the effect a bit?

Subtlety is the key or you could end up with a plaid Spitfire :coolio:

:D

I admire you for trying this Shaka, early efforts are often a bit hit and miss with so many variables to think about; thinness of paint, air pressure, spraying distance etc etc and I'm sure you'll soon discover your own way of achieving success.  Right now, I think the lighter areas are a bit too regular, i.e. see a panel and lighten it so I'd be attempting a more random effect coupled with varying intensities of paint.  Keep on experimenting though!! :)

Max

Looking good so far, mate.

Kev

Thanks, mate! I don't think I've ever been called "mate", nor have I ever used that word to refer to another guy!

Thanks, mates! (Wow, that felt less weird, second time around..). I ran out of paint on the "blending" stage, so yes, it looks more patchy than it should. The lower cowl looks more even, but it's a compromise with what might look good in person/photos/real life?

I forgot I had a finer AB (Badger Sotar)..I'll give that a try next and since it's got such a small cup, I can actually take a look at what I've done after the paint's used up!

This is actually quite fun..I'm so stressed at work, I noticed this is the only time I don't think about work.

This is actually quite fun..I'm so stressed at work, I noticed this is the only time I don't think about work.

Glad to hear it Shaka. That's what makes the hobby enjoyable. An escape from the humdrum or stressful environment of real life to a more serene and pleasurable place. When the hobby becomes just as stressful as real life you'll know you're trying too hard.

Have fun with the AB. I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Cheers.

I like the effect it produces -- it's just difficult to photograph properly. I'm trying to avoid any washes on the panel lines and this technique seems to emphasize them, scale-wise just perfectly.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I do appreciate it...now moving to the top coats.

uQsMUzi.jpg

p5jZxMG.jpg

Edited by Shaka HI