Lets help LSP Kevin out to get a new computer.

ericg

Actually, I do! We had a severe thunderstorm last night, and it knocked out the power for about 4-5 hours. Now the modem won't connect to the Internet! Not sure if there's an external outage, or faulty equipment at my end.

Hopefully I can get this sorted out without too much trauma...

Kev

Right, who's starting a new whip-round for a new internet for Kev - his is broken?

I've done some basic research, an internet costs around $19 trillion - http://louisvillegeek.com/how-much-is-the-internet-actually-worth/

That's $19,000,000,000,000. US$, of course.

If we can get $1 per minute, we'll have enough in 36 million years. 

And - here's the really crazy, weird bit - it's still less than the US National Debt. Which is going up $1m per minute.

So, exactly 2 weeks after my computer had a hard drive meltdown, an electrical storm fries my main network router, and access to the Internet along with it. Luckily, thanks to the continued generosity of the LSP community, I was able to muster the funds to replace it quickly, so all's well that ends well. And I managed to get it for less than US$19,000,000,000,000! But these things come in threes, right?

Kev

So, exactly 2 weeks after my computer had a hard drive meltdown, an electrical storm fries my main network router, and access to the Internet along with it. Luckily, thanks to the continued generosity of the LSP community, I was able to muster the funds to replace it quickly, so all's well that ends well. And I managed to get it for less than US$19,000,000,000,000! But these things come in threes, right?

Kev

Always disconnect your modem from the power point as soon as you hear thunder.  I worked as an ISP tech in my last job and you have no idea how many people would ring up with dud modems that were fried after a big storm!  Of course, they'd have the gall to want it replaced under warranty...

Kev - I'm a late comer to this thread, is all good, or do you still require some community help?  Even though I'm not working at the moment, I can afford to donate a good $20 to you for a good cause if you require it.  

I think we all appreciate the site and the hard work yourself, and the other mods/admins do for us!

Dave

Kev

That's nasty, glad you got it fixed up though

Cheers

Dennis

Always disconnect your modem from the power point as soon as you hear thunder.  I worked as an ISP tech in my last job and you have no idea how many people would ring up with dud modems that were fried after a big storm!  Of course, they'd have the gall to want it replaced under warranty...

Kev - I'm a late comer to this thread, is all good, or do you still require some community help?  Even though I'm not working at the moment, I can afford to donate a good $20 to you for a good cause if you require it.  

I think we all appreciate the site and the hard work yourself, and the other mods/admins do for us!

Dave

Thanks Dave, but I'm all good now. Sorry to hear about your work situation, too. Ironically, my Motorola cable modem has outlived at least 3 routers now, and just keeps on going.

Kev

Thanks Dave, but I'm all good now. Sorry to hear about your work situation, too. Ironically, my Motorola cable modem has outlived at least 3 routers now, and just keeps on going.

Kev

leaving that job was the best thing I could do.  There's a lot that I could say, but a public forum is not the place.  

I'm glad all is OK now.  I haven't been really active on the forums the past several weeks, need to get back into the swing of things!

Dave