Lets help LSP Kevin out to get a new computer.

ericg

Now we need to concentrate on salvaging Kevin's data - any thoughts?

The first thing would be to mount the HDD in a USB connectable caddy and see if another computer can read anything off the drive.

If it can, then transferring files and folders or creating a drive image would be next.

Edited by Chek

Guys, with regard to my data, things are in an unknown state right now, as I don't know if the hard drive has been affected by this. We have an on-site Apple technician at my workplace, who should be returning from holidays this week, so I'll get him to take a look at it. I have a Time Machine backup that should contain pretty much all my data, so as long as that hasn't been compromised, I should be OK, even if the HD is fried.

Kev

Sent a Canuck buck contribution Kev. Glad to help!

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Wolf,

This one didn't appear to come through. Did you send it to kfutter@optusnet.com.au? I thought I'd better let you know, in case there's a problem.

Kev

Hi kev. Do you need more money?

Now there's a loaded question! The answer is technically 'yes' given that the computer I've set my sights on, which unfortunately costs ridiculously more money here in Australia than it does in the US. However, at no point did I ever expect you guys to collectively buy me a new computer, and I fully realise that this amazing and overwhelming outpouring of generosity and support will run its course soon. At that point, I will make up any shortfall through other means. But I'm actually pretty close, which really blows me away.

That's just a long-winded way of saying that I could still use a bit more money if you are willing to donate to the cause, but I in no way expect it, and am grateful not only for every cent donated so far, but also all the supportive comments and encouragement. I guess we really should put a deadline on this, so it doesn't drag out forever, and starts to look (or even become) a bit self-serving.

In other news, the Apple repair technician currently has my broken unit on his desk, and hopefully I'll get a report from him shortly.

Kev