Lets help LSP Kevin out to get a new computer.

ericg

I just wanted to update everybody on the situation as it currently stands. But before I do, I'd like to express my eternal gratitude for the amazing generosity that has been bestowed upon me in this thread. I remain somewhat overwhelmed by it all, and would like to apologise for not being able to thank you all individually. You've all certainly showed what the spirit of this community is all about, and I can never thank you enough.

Anyway, it turns out that my old computer had a hard drive failure. Luckily, the technician was able to get it booting again (thanks Trev!), but with no guarantees of continued operability. I'm now attempting to clone the drive, but it's taking an awfully long time, and won't be finished for hours. If it works, I should have something to restore from to the new machine.

Speaking of which, you guys have got me 3/4 of the way there, and I've been able to make up the difference from another source. I can purchase the new machine through my work at a small discount, but not until the money has been transferred to my bank account, as I have to pay by credit or debit card. PayPal tells me that the transfer process takes 3-5 days, so I've initiated that now, and just have to wait. After that, there's a similar wait for the custom build to be completed and shipped. So, I'm still a week or so from actually having a new computer, but I'm hoping that I might be able to use my old one in the interim.

So, I'd like to call time on this crowdfunding effort, and publicly thank Eric for starting it. Things are largely in hand now, and no more funds are really required. For me personally, you guys have managed to turn a potentially catastrophic disaster into something quite wonderful. You guys are, without doubt, the best.

Kev