Wingnut Albatros + Aviattic Marienfelde Lorry - Towing Diorama Progres

seiran01

Ok, so it *could* be seen that way, but most likely, the Albatros is the one getting towed!

I've been plotting and sourcing bits and pieces for a diorama to depict the photos of Karl Thorn's Albatros D.V from Jasta 21, wingless and getting towed (presumably) to a new airfield.  This project is involved enough that I didn't want to put it into my wingnut group-build thread.

The main pieces will be a Wingnut Wings Albatros D.V and Aviattic's new Marienfelde lorry. Additional bits sourced so far include Pheon decals (#32036 Albatros collection volume 3), 3d-printed (at Shapeways) detailed fuel tank designed by master modeller Bo Monroe, HGW resin seat and seatbelts, and numerous engine detail bits from Aviattic, HGW, Taurus, and Barracuda.  I have ordered some 3d-printed ground crew as well and these should be fairly easy to adjust to depict the scene below. 

Wish me luck, it's gonna be an involved project!

Untitled_zpspjekr8gr.png

I was able to find another photo of the same journey in the Imperial War Museum archives online shot from a slightly different angle; some details show a little better in this one.

large_zps0ka11ine.jpg

Some of the aftermarket on the base I will use for the dirt roadway - this is an injection-molded model ship display case which costs about $30 and should be tall enough to cover the diorama safely once completed.

620EB102-2F8A-4121-B5B3-AFEEC897C77A_zps

Close-up of the HGW seat and Bo's 3d-printed fuel tank

31CCD5CF-BACA-4466-ABCB-744625D7D67A_zps

• 5 weeks later...

And we're off! 

If you missed my review of Aviattic's gorgeous Daimler 4-5d LKW "Marienfelde", check it out.

I was about to start straightening a slight curve in the rear half of the chassis when I noticed that the chassis is wire reinforced, so while I wait for info from Richard to determine if it actually should be curved, I've been starting to glue some major pieces together.  The only item glued onto the chassis right now is the forward suspension/axle, the rest of the bits are just resting in place.

So far, fit is great! You'll notice that I will need to straighten the windshield frame, and this should be an easy thing with hot water. In case you're particularly OCD and starting to twitch, yes, the front cab and bonnet are sitting slightly off to one side :)

D1A8662B-1A8B-4893-8336-4B75A32D5DD7_zps

2F8A421F-F01F-4AEB-A18D-352BAA792607_zps

Two more for good measure - I've made the base modifications on one side of the Albatros - stub lower wing cut (needs spar hole drilled and a wing mount bracket made from sheet plastic) and front metal cowl removed with "wood" details restored. The plywood extends as far as the front engine bulkhead and then it's just the metal cowl held on by only a few fasteners until we get to the propeller.

03D34A8B-D84E-4000-A2C1-2A75BD531C8E_zps

E79B5D64-3C8D-4449-B797-D2D37B8ABD8D_zps

Finally had a chance to do some more work on the truck - first main task was to un-warp the chassis and windshield pane verticals. I've never treated warped resin before, and one quick dunk in near-boiling water is all the window panes needed, no coaxing at all to come back to shape. The chassis was more of a challenge with a lot of lather-rinse-repeat and weighing the sides down while cooling, I think the wire reinforcement probably hindered a little bit. In all, about 20 minutes of work and the parts are very nearly perfect - hooray!

And with that, the cab parts and chassis have been primed in Mr Surfacer 1000 from a rattle can. Front suspension is glued onto the chassis now also and I did a quick paint of wood grain on the cab floor and lower-half sides.  This was a quick hand-paint of thin oil over hand-painted vallejo buff, the intent is to paint green-grey over it and sand away some areas to look like a well-worn machine.  I can proceed to paint the firewall and start working on the smaller fiddly bits over this weekend, assuming we don't lose power from the snowstorm coming in tomorrow.

532EDF0E-0CD6-4EB7-850E-95B72B23D849_zps