I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Thanks Kage! Your absolutely right... don't think too much - Just do it! ( Nike) 

The Pilots Control Column or 'Joystick' :

This piece is a main focus part of the cockpit and needs to be done right as it's seen or viewed clearly from the top of the aircraft - through the canopy, as well as from the side - through the open crew access door.

I was in two minds on how to do it, either plastic or brass... though brass is a little bit more difficult to work with ( at times) but I went brass as it's going to be reproduced in resin and I need the part to be copied, as crisp and sharp as I can get it.

Most of my previous mastering was done in this way ( the important main parts) 

Here is a study of the part in question...

k5SDjZL.png

Crapipz.png?1

59qzodM.png?1

7tAQaR7.jpg?1

This part of the control handle will be the most time consuming  -  I expect....

diSW7dU.jpg?1

There is no accurate or direct scale plans to go by,  to make this part... So I had to approach it simplistically... at this early stage, at least...

Cardboard cutout and spacial references to start...

OyQxF3l.jpg?1

The only known drawing of the Control column of an unknown scale...

su0lYuV.jpg?1

..... calculator and a ruler does the trick!

cWrEzA6.jpg?1

Copy and scale the plans through my computer and what do you know? ....32% reduction!

wRUEzSU.jpg?1

Onj6o1e.png?1

The main shape is there - but extra and difficult work is needed...mostly in the centre - hub area , the hand - grips and so on....

There is a box on top of the column, which I have no idea what it does - other then an airbrakes switch - amongst others knobs and things! ( see earlier photos)

eQ1uVWC.png?1

LKxSaRP.png?1

BgmnDqE.png?1

The top of the column is prepared for the box addition.. this is the view from the top of the model through the canopy... the detail will be there - eventually

hNZzxEq.png?1

OK, happy with the progress so far... 

Sorry to be bouncing around - from one area to another, but parts sizing and fit - is driving this build/process at this stage.( and there is a lot here to cover!)

Pip

Edited by Piprm

• 1 month later...

Cockpit  (continued)

We focus now on the Canopy Frame - Brace (Bar) ...

As it can be clearly seen from the outside though the Canopy Bubble, I thought I'd knock one up...

First a study of the Bar in Question....

It is not an easy part to see , So I've had to collate a few images to get the full picture...

877DcF1.jpg?1

GyB9l0S.jpg?1

G7Ko5cZ.png

343j6dJ.png

jsHFFAu.png

jIL9Ciw.png?1

fLbDlzy.png?1

qLJMpht.png?1

A revelation... my partition/wall behind pilots ejection seat is too high...

Now to the building of the master part... I thought i'd go with copper...

4mroB9q.png?1

CyrjPuk.png?1

9KIXU9l.png?1

pJij3kt.png?1

TZkenfs.png?1

3rAsuf2.png?1

3i4loE6.png?1

One thing I did find with mucking around with ejection partition wall- heights etc is the Ejection Angles...

Modelling does reveal a few things behind designs sometimes.

In this case, ejection seat escape trajectory angles. 

What I thought initially,  is that both front and rear ejections are of the same angle.

But working over time on key areas of the cockpit ( floor, bracing, walls, fuselage stations etc) and the interconnections with each other... showed me different angles to the ejection seat walls. And this was done for a good reason - I believe...

Below is my conclusion...

3oUkW6d.jpg

j3RP3D0.png

The result of these angles is that the Pilot and Navigators ejection trajectories,  don't come together and bump about in the jet steam!

I think it's designed for wider separation of trajectories...

Happy 2019

Pip

Edited by Piprm
spelling

• 5 months later...

Cockpit continued :

Just a sideline observation on the Quilted side-wall of the cockpit...

You will notice by the photo - reference below , that the stitching on the quilted fabric isn't as even or uniform as you would expect... ( the stitching - diamond shapes) 

So in keeping with detail and observation and also a dedication to those rivet-counters here - I have followed the same practice here with my master internal parts.

dpBYwTI.png?1

bOswbHV.png?1

Edited by Piprm

Thanks guys for your comments, I really appreciate them...

Cockpoop (Continued)

Now that i have all the main Cockpit components done in their basic forms and happy with general fit,  for now... 

It's time to finish installing the right-side cockpit wall fabric and remove the Cockpit Inner-wall liner to detail and prepare it for molding.

I will let the photos continue the story... 

mNH42c2.jpg?1

cT0vdmi.jpg?1

dy34fIf.jpg?1

FSnewBw.jpg?1

NOTE: 

I was never happy with this first attempt at the left-side Canopy to fuselage connection point ( you can see I used Blu-Tak to fill the gaps) ... so I have decided to re-visit this area  - after I finish the other side fabric installation.

X6CdFAe.png?1

This is how it should be....

CvaBDbE.png?1

4FCFkFq.jpg?1

Time to Crow-Bar `my wall base inner-liner part,  out of the fuselage ...

My previous explanation of using water-based paper-glue to build up and fix this part in place as preparations in this area - for later removal, ( which is now) ..... is about to pay dividends or total disaster!

f3Mdqw3.png?1

Wadda - Ya - Know?  .... My wall liner part  popped out,  without too much fuss at all! 

... a bit of sticky residue to clean up but being water based paper-glue ... easy-peazy!... 

Any other glue used during earlier preparations - would have been a disaster for sure!

n4KQSry.png?1

WJ3PPjL.png?1

Yes, it has a bit of colour  bleed-through,  in the material but that is a chemical reaction to the Blue-Tak sticky base ( compare it to the freshly made right - side cockpit) ...  but the Quilted textures on the inside walls is still good to go,  for copying - and it also needs a bit of tidying up around the edges and all,  but it's not that much work... 

Oh Yes!... this new inner-wall part feels pretty solid in my hands - though it's not thick.. the T-section formers give it that rigidity I need.

Hmm, Not bad for my first attempt - me thinks !   :thumbsup:

Pip

Edited by Piprm
word correction

10 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Excellent work Pip! Really outstanding scratchbuilding going on here. You've nailed that soundproofing.  The canberra sure has a busy little cockpit; lots of things to bang your head on!

Craig 

Yep Thanks Craig - Busy cockpit it certainly is!

.. and it's keeping me busy too!

Pip

On 6/24/2019 at 12:16 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Excellent problem-solving, Phil!

Kev

Thanks Muchly Kev!

I'm itching to get these parts into resin soon!... it's a pity I've got a few coals in the fire  - as far as other projects going on at the same time! 

But I'm determined to make some inroads here.

Pip