I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Cockpit continued :

Just a sideline observation on the Quilted side-wall of the cockpit...

You will notice by the photo - reference below , that the stitching on the quilted fabric isn't as even or uniform as you would expect... ( the stitching - diamond shapes) 

So in keeping with detail and observation and also a dedication to those rivet-counters here - I have followed the same practice here with my master internal parts.

dpBYwTI.png?1

bOswbHV.png?1

Edited by Piprm

Thanks guys for your comments, I really appreciate them...

Cockpoop (Continued)

Now that i have all the main Cockpit components done in their basic forms and happy with general fit,  for now... 

It's time to finish installing the right-side cockpit wall fabric and remove the Cockpit Inner-wall liner to detail and prepare it for molding.

I will let the photos continue the story... 

mNH42c2.jpg?1

cT0vdmi.jpg?1

dy34fIf.jpg?1

FSnewBw.jpg?1

NOTE: 

I was never happy with this first attempt at the left-side Canopy to fuselage connection point ( you can see I used Blu-Tak to fill the gaps) ... so I have decided to re-visit this area  - after I finish the other side fabric installation.

X6CdFAe.png?1

This is how it should be....

CvaBDbE.png?1

4FCFkFq.jpg?1

Time to Crow-Bar `my wall base inner-liner part,  out of the fuselage ...

My previous explanation of using water-based paper-glue to build up and fix this part in place as preparations in this area - for later removal, ( which is now) ..... is about to pay dividends or total disaster!

f3Mdqw3.png?1

Wadda - Ya - Know?  .... My wall liner part  popped out,  without too much fuss at all! 

... a bit of sticky residue to clean up but being water based paper-glue ... easy-peazy!... 

Any other glue used during earlier preparations - would have been a disaster for sure!

n4KQSry.png?1

WJ3PPjL.png?1

Yes, it has a bit of colour  bleed-through,  in the material but that is a chemical reaction to the Blue-Tak sticky base ( compare it to the freshly made right - side cockpit) ...  but the Quilted textures on the inside walls is still good to go,  for copying - and it also needs a bit of tidying up around the edges and all,  but it's not that much work... 

Oh Yes!... this new inner-wall part feels pretty solid in my hands - though it's not thick.. the T-section formers give it that rigidity I need.

Hmm, Not bad for my first attempt - me thinks !   :thumbsup:

Pip

Edited by Piprm
word correction

10 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Excellent work Pip! Really outstanding scratchbuilding going on here. You've nailed that soundproofing.  The canberra sure has a busy little cockpit; lots of things to bang your head on!

Craig 

Yep Thanks Craig - Busy cockpit it certainly is!

.. and it's keeping me busy too!

Pip

On 6/24/2019 at 12:16 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Excellent problem-solving, Phil!

Kev

Thanks Muchly Kev!

I'm itching to get these parts into resin soon!... it's a pity I've got a few coals in the fire  - as far as other projects going on at the same time! 

But I'm determined to make some inroads here.

Pip

On 6/24/2019 at 12:35 PM, CJP said:

In this day & age of resin cockpits and etched brass it is good to see such great scratch building!

CJP

Thanks CPJ,

Yes, I'm stocking up on etched brass and A/M parts for upcoming projects at the moment but it's a brave new world as far as the new technologies in model-making and quick turn-around parts coming on stream in recent years.  

I'm wondering if the old hands-on skills ( demonstrated here and else-where by some other very talented people on this site)  will fade in time and into obscurity with the new push-button modelling renditions done in a micron of the time and arguably more accurate as well - compared to hours and hours - days - weeks - months - years!... of the good old-fashioned hands-on modelling.

Don't get me wrong - I think the new technologies ( 3-D printers, CAD design etc)  becoming more accessible now for making new model parts - is fantastic.

Pip

Edited by Piprm

20 hours ago, Piprm said:

Thanks CPJ,

Yes, I'm stocking up on etched brass and A/M parts for upcoming projects at the moment but it's a brave new world as far as the new technologies in model-making and quick turn-around parts coming on stream in recent years.  

I'm wondering if the old hands-on skills ( demonstrated here and else-where by some other very talented people on this site)  will fade in time and into obscurity with the new push-button modelling renditions done in a micron of the time and arguably more accurate as well - compared to hours and hours - days - weeks - months - years!... of the good old-fashioned hands-on modelling.

Don't get me wrong - I think the new technologies ( 3-D printers, CAD design etc)  becoming more accessible now for making new model parts - is fantastic.

Pip

HI Pip - when you look at the standard of modelling displayed on LSP I think scratch building will stick around and not fade away - I've often ended up scratch building areas like wingfold details because some A/M parts I've seen have not captured the shapes like aerofoil cross sections - can also be quite satisfying - I remember about 40 years ago everything needed to be scratched when improving my old models! - the work I see on LSP continues to amaze and inspire me.

CJP

Edited by CJP
text

• 2 months later...

Cockpoop Wall Liner - Continued

Time to clean up and detail the cockpit wall liner  - as you have seen already - it's rough around the edges ( mostly because of the raised or widened mating surfaces of the fuselage halves ) so I had to under-cut the edges but now i have to build them up again for copying into resin for standard molding to cover all applications.

My resin copy of these particular parts for this build at least - will be cut back again at the fuselage-halves edges... to fit again.

h0V2zEA.jpg?1

v7axBFE.jpg?1

Readjusted edges - Before and after comparison.....

8CyYlDP.jpg?1

Now, I have moved to the crew door access hatch because of alignment of the openings ( inside and out) that need to be addressed before molding....

I need to scribe and cut right around the access door edges,  with some accuracy  because any mistakes at this stage - especially with the outer fuselage sides.. will need a lot of extra work to correct  and/or fix

and why make any extra work for myself? 

So for the need to making a sturdy full door sized scribing-cutting template  - I have turned to using the thin alloy metal strips you find in your everyday household window venetians blinds ( here we go again - stripping your house for useful tools and parts  - Pip ? )

Erh!! maybe... I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story....

5EnjvD1.jpg?1

3hos5hz.jpg?1

nKo0bL8.jpg?1

7mqD38Y.jpg?1

X1fJ3jG.jpg?1

h5gQRwl.jpg

RLkZ8uF.jpg?1

TgmXCJW.jpg?1

Edited by Piprm
extra wrding

• 1 month later...

Cockpit  ( Continued) 

working further on the inner wall 'Shell' below shows the edges cleaned up and ready for the next part....

The photos tell the story....

ab4wzZE.jpg?1

NtxcKTT.png?2

hrwoELe.jpg?1

hoDAaZS.jpg?1

Time to mock - up the inner-wall liners and back wall to check fit and look .... 

fgNg7QG.png?2

qj9Qdcl.jpg?1

C5y68wL.jpg?1

PqPjF5H.png?1

nj3ckVa.jpg?1

I am happy with look and more importantly - the fit of the parts so far.... ( they will be cleaned up more before I mold these) 

Now we move to the next area.... The crew access hatch ( Inside and out)....

rhoGK7D.png?1

Looking from the outside > in , the entry hatch edging has this small 'lip' as shown in following photos.....

U3OWGj1.jpg?2

41nvPQP.png

zkPBQ7R.jpg?1

q1AC9sj.jpg?1

3dVaAsp.jpg?1

60zNHKi.jpg?1

Pip:)

Edited by Piprm
extra wording