I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

2 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Pip,  you’re beating this vac into a top notch build.  Love the updates.  Spray a little color on some sub assemblies and this beast will come to light.  Love the efforts and attention to detail going on here.  

Hi Troy,

Great minds think alike - Yes that did occur to me in recent weeks ( for photographic purposes) 

Yes, I will try this from now on 

Pip

4 hours ago, Tony T said:

Love the combination of detail finesse and brick sh**-house construction turning a flimsy vac into something more robust.

I was getting through so much expensive plastic strip etc extending and beefing up just a fraction of a Tigger Su-15 Flagon (although it'll be great, one day) ; where do you get the extra materials from, and is weight an issue?

Great work Pip

Tony 

Hi Tony,

Ha Ha! ....Yep, Feather one minute, Sledge hammer the next - that's definitely my modelling style. 

Materials? Some local ( AUS)... some overseas... Ebay is a good source -  long list of other suppliers - msg me if needed.

Weight? strangely no. Apart for the odd bucket of nuts & bolts I've been using , I try to use alloys/plastics/copper in the accessorising/mastering  parts of the build.

Mind you- these parts will be converted to resin later , so what- ever weight there is in the mastered original parts right now - will be lessened later on in resin copies ( except for metal landing gear and the wing / fuselage structures) 

Pip

Pilots console Master  - Construction and 'Detailing'  Phase

I've started with one of the centre-pieces of the Cockpit - the pilots left-side console... as it's mostly seen from the top through the Canopy and also through the open crew excess hatch.

I've already made the 'Basic' shape as seen in previous threads.. but now's the time to detail it...

The real cockpit photos and additional drawings are for your reference and familiarisation..

Note: the drawings below aren't accurate but gives you some references and understanding of components  and placement within the cockpit...

qP2XsPd.jpg?1

5ujS2Wz.jpg?1

icd3RCz.png?1

90u3Cwo.png?1

LBeXEPh.jpg?1

The raised panel lines or crosses on the console sides are for reinforcement  and  in 1/32 nd scale ....are a little small for my eyes... so I used the magnification light to help..

Starting with some offcuts of half-round strip styrene ... 

wCKlklz.jpg?1

1mEpdfB.jpg?1

9aDwqfb.jpg?1

CyNmZNF.jpg?1

Me thinks it's finally starting to take some shape

Pip

Edited by Piprm

22 hours ago, crobinsonh said:

Brilliant work

20 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Just superb attention to detail.

Regards Andy 

15 hours ago, RadBaron said:

Fantastic work, mate!

Many Thanks Guys! ...I  really  appreciate your encouragement

Your comments give me stamina to move forward on this project

Pip :)

Edited by Piprm

This is astonishing work! Old school scratch-building that just looks completely convincing. It's not easy to try to replicate that much cluttered structure detail and you're doing a splendid job.

This is going to be an incredible model. Looking forward to following your progress on this.

Keep at it! :)

Richard

On 10/30/2019 at 11:08 PM, Troy Molitor said:

Go Pip go!   We all love the updates.  Put some primer on that cockpit.  The details will show up better for us.  

Troy 

Thanks Troy - Yes I'm going - I'm Going to do!

Yes, as remarked previously, the white bare styrene finish does take away detail from the parts in the photos... so the sprayed grey finish will be the Go from now on ..

I won't touch the inner wall liners for now - I need the detail in the fabric as raw as I can get it for copying.

I'm also shaking the primer can as I write!

Pip

Edited by Piprm

• 1 month later...

Modelling Relief:

I decided to get an Air-conditoner for my Man-cave as I am sick and tired of sweating and feeling ill from the heat and humidity in recent times. Maybe i'm getting older i don't know ,  but last year or so of summers heat , I had to down tools because of the heat and the discomfort over my work-bench.

JyCfL0m.jpg?1

Thank God for small mercies

Edited by Piprm