F-4C Olds 8th TFW

Pete Fleischmann

Hey all-

Been messing with this for a while. The plan is to build one of Robin Olds' MiG killers- either 680 from Operation Bolo, or 829 which Olds flew as Tampa 01 when he got 2 kills on 20 May 67 (and later became SCAT XXVII). Either way, the model will be post mission, with Olds and the GIB climbing out of the cockpit. I decided a crew chief going up the ladder would be cool-SDC13473_zpshzabdoza.jpgSDC13521_zpsmxi110wq.jpg

SDC13510_zpsjprci9au.jpgSDC13523_zpsqi2hsza4.jpg

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

I needed the drag chute door open..so I needed to build the tube in the fuselage that holds the chute. I did this via lost foam casting.

I carved the negative shape out of heavy insulation foam-

SDC13492_zpskabcmmcd.jpg

Covered the foam shape in shrink tubing, using a heat gun to carefully not melt the foam- Leave some excess shrink tubing to give yourself something to grab. The shrink tubing is then covered with a mold release wax-

SDC13494_zpsjmenjaaq.jpg

..Then the whole mess gets covered with 2 part epoxy resin-

SDC13496_zpsr0oifar7.jpg

once the resin cures, I sliced off one end, and poured acetone into the tube to melt the foam away-

SDC13498_zpsf2r0pbhn.jpg

...pulled the shrink tube out, and was left with this-

SDC13499_zpsxhwimbdw.jpg

SDC13500_zpsm1bpvei0.jpg

SDC13501_zpsljzemx6j.jpg

SDC13529_zps3riiuvgy.jpg

The shape is a little squirrly at the bottom, but the Eduard photoetch piece that covers this open section cleans it up-

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

Hi Pete,

Looking forward to this one, because ALL of your builds are awesome!

If you ever do the drag chute open again, I have a solution that might be a bit quicker and easier than your molded piece.  I used ordinary 3/8" copper plumbing supply line, which I bend square with needle nose pliers.  The copper is quite soft so it was quite easy.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Awesome Chuck! Thanks! I remember your outstanding F-4E build- I thought about using your technique, but couldn't find the copper...well- that and the fact that it had been a while since I did some lost foam casting, and wanted to see if I remembered how to do it! I used this technique to make the intake trunks for my 16th scale AT-38B, and it worked like a champ!

Good stuff!

Cheers

Pete

Awesome Chuck! Thanks! I remember your outstanding F-4E build- I thought about using your technique, but couldn't find the copper...well- that and the fact that it had been a while since I did some lost foam casting, and wanted to see if I remembered how to do it! I used this technique to make the intake trunks for my 16th scale AT-38B, and it worked like a champ!

Good stuff!

Cheers

Pete

Well, your method still looks terrific, but I thought I'd save you some time if you didn't know about it.  Having said that, I can think of a few uses for YOUR method for other applications, so thanks for the tip!

Cheers,

Chuck