HK Models DH Mosquito B IV

BloorwestSiR

Awesome airbrush work, Carl! It looks great. Are you going to apply much in the way of weathering?

Kev

Thansk Kev. I don't I'll be doing too much weathering. That's one skill I haven't mastered yet, plus i tend to prefer my models more on the clean side. One day I'll try something "down and dirty" :)

Carl

Thanks Matt, Andy and Jim. It looks like I'm going to have to order the Eagle Editions decals directly as my LHS is having trouble getting them. Seems they're having trouble with Customs holding up stuff.

A bit more progress on the HK kit. I was able to fit the Tamiya spinner and backplate to the HK props fairly painlessly. You just need to trim off some pegs on the inside of the back plate that are there for the Tamiya prop hub and then centre the HK prop. I then painted everything semi gloss black. 

IMG_20151022_134934.jpg

Once dry, I masked off the tips and painted them using Valleo Model air yellow.

IMG_20151022_135856.jpg

IMG_20151022_140903.jpg

And mounted to the cowlings with the spinner in place.

IMG_20151022_141047.jpg

It looks like I'm entering the home stretch with this one. I think from this point, I'll get this one finished and then go back to the Tamiya one.

Carl

Guest Clunkmeister

Carl, That looks positively great.  What you do freehand is amazing. It would take me weeks of messing with masks to achieve what you do freehand with an airbrush.

For me, there's always that one 'oops' moment.

Have you decided on a squadron yet? Or are you keeping it for the Big Reveal?

Thanks everyone including Tom whom I forgot in my last reply.

Jim, those are indeed paint masks on the upper wing. I prefer to use them when doing roundals as I don't have to worry about decals.

Ernie, I'm doing Grim Reaper from 109 Sqn. I hear you're thinking of starting on one of these kits. Well stop thinking and get going! :)

Back to paint masks, here's a better pic of the ones on the upper wing:

IMG_20151022_211842.jpg

Here's the one for the fin flash. I use Tamiya tape to seal the seams between sections. This helps to prevent paint from bleeding.

IMG_20151022_211848.jpg

With some extra masking to prevent overspray:

IMG_20151022_212204.jpg

And some white for a base under the red:

IMG_20151022_212533.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR