HK Models DH Mosquito B IV

BloorwestSiR

Looking very nice! Have you given any thought as to unit markings on this bird?

And it looks like having the Tamiya Mossie to use as a spares source will come in handy here...

Thanks Ernie, I'll be doing Grim Reaper from 109 Sqn. Eagle Editions has it on their forthcoming decal sheet. I think it'll be a nice contrast to the Tamiya one in Coastal Command grey.

Your right in that having the Tamiya kit as a source for alternate parts has been handy. Besides the exhausts, I'm using the props, spinners, and exhaust shrouds. Oh and those tiny intake scoops.

Carl

Awesome Carl! Looks like you're flying along with this build. I hope the eyes heal up nicely, and you can keep pushing on with this one.

Matt :frantic:

Thanks Matt, I probably would have been done by now but I've had to wait 6 weeks for my eye to heal. My wife and father-in-law were quite adamant about me not stressing my eye. My response of contacts and glasses being half price in the future if I did, didn't go over too well... :P

Great stuff indeed Carl. You definitely need a lot of bench space with these don't you? And you have two on the go...........!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf, my work space just overflows as needed. I have one box under my bench and the other behind me on a stool. No one else really goes into the basement so the biggest threat is our cat jumping up and knocking something over.

Carl

Plugging away at the kit, I painted the canopy frames interior green after masking them with a combination of the Maketar masks and tape.

IMG_20151012_220923.jpg

I then attached the inner framework to the front and rear canopy sections.

IMG_20151012_221119.jpg

IMG_20151012_221133.jpg

With the flare gun in place:

IMG_20151012_221637.jpg

In place on the fuselage:

IMG_20151012_222543.jpg

The fit is pretty good. It almost snaps into place but to be sure, I used a bit of cement. I then added the three centre panels. These are just press fit into place and nice and snug so I may leave them that way.

IMG_20151012_223002.jpg

I stopped by the LHS today hoping they had received the decals but they're tied up with CRA (the taxman here in Canada) so nothing yet. Time to start throwing some colour at the topsides soon.

Carl

Boy, it sure looks like everything fits very nicely on the canopy assembly. Gotta like that eh?

Cheers,

Wolf

I certainly do. Makes things a lot more painless.

I fitted the exhaust shrouds to the nacelles. These are the Tamiya ones which are just about a drop fit on. There's a small gap on the back of the inner ones but it's not too noticable with the rad housings above them.

IMG_20151014_211413.jpg

IMG_20151014_211421.jpg

I then free hand airbrushed Tamiya Dark Green onto the upper surfaces in the approximate camo pattern.

IMG_20151014_215352.jpg

IMG_20151014_223713.jpg

I then airbrushed the Ocean Grey on. Both paints are supposed to flat but they've dried with a satin finish. 

IMG_20151014_224118.jpg

Then it was time for masking off the upper surface for the Night along the sides and bottoms.

IMG_20151015_112609.jpg

IMG_20151015_120554.jpg

And the moment of truth, taking all the masking off....

IMG_20151015_164321.jpg

IMG_20151015_164332.jpg

IMG_20151015_164357.jpg

There's a bit of overspray on the nose glazing and some touch up needed on the ends of the nacelles but I think it came out ok. Next step will be painting on the roundels and fin flash.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR