HK Models DH Mosquito B IV

BloorwestSiR

Thanks gents!

I haven't had too much time at the workbench over the last couple of days so progress has been mostly prep work. I have found the first significant difference in proportions between the two kits: the 500 lb bombs.

The HK one is on top with the Tamiya one below:

IMG_20150817_233533.jpg

I'm not sure which is the correct size but if someone knows the measurements of the actual one I can measure then and find out.

This led me to check on the props and spinners and do a comparison there.

Both kits include both needle and paddle blades. As I will be using the narrow needle blades on my HK build, those are the ones I looked at. The HK prop blades and hub are one piece with a spinner cover. There is no backplate for the spinner. Since there is only one spinner in the kit, I can only presume that they use it for both blade options. The Tamiya kit has separate blades, spinners and backplate depending on which blade you use.

The Tamiya blade prior to attaching it to the hub with the HK prop below:

IMG_20150817_234123.jpg

Attached to its hub with the HK prop on the left:

IMG_20150817_233716.jpg

It took me a bit of comparing the two before I noticed a difference. Likewise for the spinners, backplate notwithstanding.

IMG_20150817_233256.jpg

IMG_20150817_233237.jpg

Bomb wise, both are off big time in my opinion, they are two different 500lb bombs but both are not right. I think Tamiya is an GP Mk IV that is shaped wrong and the HK which is a MC Mk VI which is shaped wrong but closer.  Spinner and props are not so bad, unless compared like shown one would never know.

This is HK's version but not sure what mark of tail they are representing as it's all wrong.

cookie-bomb-in-air-595x583.jpg

Thanks for the answers and pics. In the first one, does that show both the 500lb bomb and a "Cookie" being dropped from the same plane?

Thankfully the only one I'll have to worry about is the Tamiya one as the HKb will have the bay doors closed.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I can't believe I haven't updated this WIP for almost two weeks. Time to correct that.

First thing, I've sent Harold the Tamiya prop and spinner as well as the HK 100 gallon tank so hopefully they'll be available to those who don't want to buy a Tamiya Mossie as a parts donor.

IMG_20150819_192045.jpg

IMG_20150819_192024.jpg

IMG_20150819_192033.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR

The small intake scoop on the side panels is moulded closed. Since the Tamiya kit comes with two sets of engine covers, I took the extra scoops and added them to the HK covers.

IMG_20150828_150431.jpg

IMG_20150829_225257.jpg

They're a bit hard to see as they are the clear ones from the bonus set that comes in the export versions of the Tamiya kit.

They're easier to see with a coat of paint on them.

IMG_20150829_230657.jpg

IMG_20150829_230757.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So, it took longer than I had hoped to get back at this kit but I had an unexpected force vacation from the workbench. Anyways, I'm back at it and hope to make some real progress again.

Since my last updated, I've attached the bomb bay doors in the closed position. The fit isn't too bad but I had to glue them in stages. I started at the front and worked my way rearwards.

IMG_20150929_163258.jpg

I also started attaching the clear bits to the fuselage, starting with the nose cone and front windows. I'm using the paint masks from Maketar for these. They're nicely done but I wish there was a guide as to what mask goes where.

IMG_20150929_225023.jpg

Lastly, I started attaching all the cowl panels. But first, I used the trumpet exhausts from the Tamiya kit instead of the HK ones.

IMG_20151003_222000.jpg

They're longer than the HK ones so don't actually line up with the ports on the engine block but this won't be noticed with the cowlings in place.

IMG_20151003_222012.jpg

With the cowlings glued in place.

IMG_20150929_225033.jpg

So as of Tuesday, I'll be good to go for wearing my contacts again and I'll be able to see what I'm doing at the workbench again. Which hopefully means more progress on this and the Tamiya Mossies.

Carl