Potential untapped market: Golden Age Aviation

RBrown

For sure, kits from Silver Wings, Fisher Models, or Alleycat are not more difficult than any injected plastic short run kit, they even are usually more straightforward, the main difference being only the material and the type of glue.

HPH are a bit different, as the casting process is a bit different and so are the casting blocks to be cleaned, but the quality is very high as well.

Hold your breath, start with a simple conversion so you wont be totally lost, and jump into the resin world. You wont regret it, given the dozens of very nice and uncommon subjects available.

Well said Nicolas

Not sure I'd agree with that analysis. Both are also the product of refining oil, which was originally wood.....

pU resins are the product of a reaction, and once cured cannot be uncured, only destroyed. Polystyrene melts when it is heated, the chemical structure is very different. They have different physical characteristics, and react differently under stress. They also age differently, as do many other materials used to make such items. Search for original Barbie dolls for example; the vynil used in the 1950's isn't stable, and degrades into a brown liquid.... Several metal alloys degrade to complex salts, depending on the storage temperature and humidity, and after a few decades beautiful cast parts end up as a pile of grey dust.

Polystyrene seems to have a very good shelf life. UV light can make it brittle, and glued joints can let go because the glue degrades, but solvent welded joints seem good.

Tim

There are huge amounts of really interesting, undone model kits to be made for modelers interested in aviation.

How about large scale (really large scale) iterations of Da Vinci's drawings and concepts?  I just completed Eduard's 1:4 Bf-109 E instrument panel, and thought it was one of the more interesting, fun model kits I've ever built, largely because it is so unexpected and so outside the box!

How about a full-sized, 1:1 scale model of the hand grip portion of a control column from a spitfire, or Bf-109, with a crazy devotion to every last detail?  1:1 scale allows a lot of room for detail. 

How about model kits from some of the more interesting experiments in aviation stemming from the late 19th century? You know, the "airplanes" that weren't quite capable of flight!  

There are 10,000 unexpected modeling subjects model manufacturers could explore, a fraction of which stem from the world of aviation.

As it is, we tend to get the same subjects featuring a completed aircraft in 3 or 4 designated scales.  That's just the way it is.

Model companies are afraid to take chances for obvious reasons.  I don't blame them.

But I'd love for someone to make a huge 1:12 scale model of one of Da Vinci's flying machine concepts from his Codex Atlanticus or similar.  

And yes, I already own and have built the Imagination Factory wooden kit of his creation.  It's a great model.

I'd love to see more outside the box thinking.

Guest Peterpools

Resin or injected molded, I'm in and what I wouldn't give for a Vought SB2U-1 Vindicator, a Douglas TBD Devastator ( Trumpeter's kit most likely will never see the light of day), Grumman F3F, Curtiss SeaGull and the list goes on. Only dreaming but that's what dreams are for

Peter

Hey, Ringleheim, to let you know, there are 1:1 kits out there for a German joystick, a Spit joystick, German gunsite, British gunsite, Italian gunsite and Italian joystick. I think a US gunsite too, though I would have to check the stash. They are done by an Italian guy.

The most recent gunsite I got had an actual glass lens included, real clue.

One of these days I should build one. ***Sigh***

Hey, Ringleheim, to let you know, there are 1:1 kits out there for a German joystick, a Spit joystick, German gunsite, British gunsite, Italian gunsite and Italian joystick. I think a US gunsite too, though I would have to check the stash. They are done by an Italian guy.

The most recent gunsite I got had an actual glass lens included, real clue.

One of these days I should build one. ***Sigh***

Thanks for the heads up!  Can you give me a name or something to go off?

I'd like to check this stuff out!

A full explanation of why I don't do resin would unacceptably divert the thread, but what it boils down to is that I have considered the subject and have made what I consider a fully-informed choice to not build resin kits.  Thank you for your concerns, but please respect my choice. :)

Besides I have plenty of subjects to keep me busy in injected plastic or even vacform.

:piliot:

Edited by MikeC

We all respect your choice to avoid resin - LSP is great like that in a way other forums would do well to take notice of.

Just curious as to your reasons? Not criticising, not trying to turn you to the dark side.

A full explanation of why I don't do resin would unacceptably divert the thread, but what it boils down to is that I have considered the subject and have made what I consider a fully-informed choice to not build resin kits.  Thank you for your concerns, but please respect my choice. :)

Besides I have plenty of subjects to keep me busy in injected plastic or even vacform.

:piliot:

Understandable. We each have our own reasons, and "rules" we make for ourselves from past experiences.  I myself am 180 deg opposite..................Ill build the new tool resin kits all day, but I really have never had any want to dive into a vac yet.  Just too much work IMHO, but that is exactly that, opinion.   Its all a learning experience, and the hobby is supposed to be enjoyable, so we all build with the end goal of being happy in mind, no matter what the subject or medium.      It is what it is.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Has anyone mentioned HpH?

I just took a gander at their website and found that they show, in 1/32 scale these biplanes:

Letov S-16
Letov S-328
Letov SM-1
Supermarine Walrus

They also show these yummy planes from WW2:

Me 410A-1
DH. Sea Hornet MF.21

http://www.hphmodels.cz/index.php/en/shop-2/produkty-hph-models/modely-v-meritku-1-32

Interesting company.

Stephen

Being in process of building the HpH Supermarine Walrus I can say it is NOT a beginners kit, but it IS a very nice kit, as well as having the HpH 410 in the stash....................  VERY well detailed the both of them.    I hunted for the 2nd release SB Me-410 for YEARS before HpH came out with it, and never was able to bid on one for less than $450.00.    Now I am SO glad I didnt, cause the new tool HpH kit destroys the old 2nd release SB kit in every way possible.