California Highway Patrol P-51D Pursuit plane- finished

BloorwestSiR

Thanks gents!

For the FLIR, I needed to find some sort of screen display. Going through the spares box, I found a leftover F-16 IP

IMG_20150615_213156.jpg

I carefully cut out one of the screens with all the buttons around it. I plan to mount it to the coaming in place of the gunsight.

IMG_20150615_213517.jpg

Next, I prepped and masked the canopy, MLG doors, FLIR, and the exhaust stacks for paint:

IMG_20150615_220640.jpg

IMG_20150615_223135.jpg

I'm trying to decide what colour to paint the FLIR. I keep thinking silver with some blue since it resembles R2D2 so much but gold would be nice too.

Carl

Cool.....................I like the gold Idea. It seems to be a popular, and flashy/eye-catching trim color commonly used on Police vehicles.

Although the FLIR pod looks like R2, Im thinking the blue accents might clash a bit with the rest of the theme, but its not my model, and Id suggest doing it whichever way you like best. :)

Edited by Out2gtcha

• 2 weeks later...

Cool.....................I like the gold Idea. It seems to be a popular, and flashy/eye-catching trim color commonly used on Police vehicles.

Although the FLIR pod looks like R2, Im thinking the blue accents might clash a bit with the rest of the theme, but its not my model, and Id suggest doing it whichever way you like best. :)

You`re probably right about the colour clashing so I`ve left it for now. In the meantime, I managed to get some paint sprayed.

IMG_20150623_000153.jpg

IMG_20150624_222145.jpg

I did the gear doors and canopy frames in flat black and then a coat of gloss black. I thought about leaving the canopy in black but a quick test fit showed it didn`t llok great to my eye. So a quick coat of white over those and here they are:

IMG_20150624_222211.jpg

At this point, I couldn`t help myself so I broke out the deekals and got to work:

IMG_20150624_230828.jpg

The canopy is just dry fitted and not glued yet.

IMG_20150624_230910.jpg

I know that many times aircraft will get `zapped`and have graffitti or other markings put on them by units from other units or even countries. So in that spirit, I took a Main Force Patrol decal from one of my Mad Max kits and slapped it on the tail. The story will be that an Australian police unit came to visit and see how the CHP used their Mustangs and left them a souvenir of their visit.

IMG_20150624_230853.jpg

It`s not the best pic so I get another when I`m done.

Thanks everyone!

I'm glad it looks as good as it does. It was a bit tough visualizing what the paint scheme would look like but it definitely works. I still need to do the prop and spinner. I was thinking of a gold spinner but might do white with a gold stripe.

Carl