California Highway Patrol P-51D Pursuit plane- finished

BloorwestSiR

Hello,

Nice work :punk:

Cheers

Boris

Indeed!

Thank you gentlemen!

My wife and I had our 5th anniversary on Saturday so I didn't get too much done here but progress nonetheless. I attached the tailplanes and ailerons to the wings. 

IMG_20150523_224528.jpg

IMG_20150523_224537.jpg

I noticed that on the starboard wing, I had broken off the end bit so made a replacement from styrene.Once it's dry, I'll do the final shaping.

IMG_20150523_224548.jpg

Carl

Very COOL.

I have a bench monster in the shape of a KAT!

She has gotten on my bench 2 time in a year and 3 months

Did what the Germans could not do.....Shot down "Milk Wagon" my 1/32 B-17

and scattered parts for my MIZZ Rhonda Kay What-it  and

1/144 KC-135R Commission build

For some reason that I don't understand......she is still breathing

Nice job on the rudder Sir

jack

Nice!      Reminds me of the Cavalier Mustang in this form

P-51D_5NA_Cavalier.jpg

I'd go for the Cavalier tall tail mod like this on with those tip tanks. A lot of loiter and slow speed maneuvering in store for this mission and the vertical area makes it a lot more stable carrying all of that weight out on the tips!

Chris...

• 3 weeks later...

I'd go for the Cavalier tall tail mod like this on with those tip tanks. A lot of loiter and slow speed maneuvering in store for this mission and the vertical area makes it a lot more stable carrying all of that weight out on the tips!

Chris...

Thanks for the info Chris. I thought that the Cavalier might have a taller tail but since it's done, I'll leave it way it is.

Speaking of which, I finally got back to working on the Mustang if only a llittle bit. I primed the fuselage so that it's ready for a coat of gloss white which I'll try to spray in the next day or two.

IMG_20150610_221527.jpg

So it's moving forward again,

Carl

Very COOL.

I have a bench monster in the shape of a KAT!

She has gotten on my bench 2 time in a year and 3 months

Did what the Germans could not do.....Shot down "Milk Wagon" my 1/32 B-17

and scattered parts for my MIZZ Rhonda Kay What-it  and

1/144 KC-135R Commission build

For some reason that I don't understand......she is still breathing

Nice job on the rudder Sir

jack

Yup, have one of those too. I watched her hop up onto my bench in the most indirect way possible. This caused the launch of my Dragon BF-109, the scattering of my FW-190 parts and one of my RC cars taking a tumble. She then looked at me with a "What? I meant to do that" look on her face.

I sprayed the gloss white last night and it came out really well. I used Tamiya X-2 gloss white thinned with their lacquer thinner. For the final coat, I thinned the paint quite a bit more than usual and sprayed a wet coat on. This seemed to level it out gave it a nice gloss.

IMG_20150611_221459.jpg

After it dried, I then started masking it off for the wings and tailplanes to be done in black. I start by outlining the demarcation with 1mm masking tape and then using 5mm tape to thicken it up a bit. 

IMG_20150611_225106.jpg

IMG_20150611_225114.jpg 

I then use painters tape for the general masking.

IMG_20150611_225122.jpg

IMG_20150611_230842.jpg

IMG_20150611_230851.jpg

Turning out GREAT!

Also a real nice idea to get good use from the Dragon kit.

And has me thinking even better to use for the 1/24 Trumpeter kit!

You can not only display it with same scale vehicles more easily, but the ejection seat would fit very well since the Trumpeter P-51 has that weird canopy and sill bulge already incorporated.

this is going to be gorgeous!

Gold pinstrip at the black edge?

Oh yeah that would be neat!   Or even gold pinstriping on the fuse..............or even between the B&W demarks.

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. I was thinking gold prop spinner and maybe a bit on the canopy. 

Turning out GREAT!

Also a real nice idea to get good use from the Dragon kit.

And has me thinking even better to use for the 1/24 Trumpeter kit!

You can not only display it with same scale vehicles more easily, but the ejection seat would fit very well since the Trumpeter P-51 has that weird canopy and sill bulge already incorporated.

Revellogram has a Ford Mustang Pursuit car model and Verlinden did a CHP figure in 1/24 scale so they would look awesome side by side.

Might be some scheme ideas from a look at their Helicopters, and did they paint up their Patrol Cessnas?

Also like to see a closeup shot on how the putty worked out when said and done if possible?

Looking for one that will leave a subtle hint of what was - which is uniform throughout.    :hmmm: 

Might be some scheme ideas from a look at their Helicopters, and did they paint up their Patrol Cessnas?

Also like to see a closeup shot on how the putty worked out when said and done if possible?

Looking for one that will leave a subtle hint of what was - which is uniform throughout.    :hmmm:

I did a Google search for some of their helicopters and they're blue, gold and white. Oh well. 

I tried to take a pic of the lower wing with the black primer on. In the pic, you can just make out some of the rivets very subtly. 

IMG_20150612_202931.jpg

I think that it should be possible to achieve a uniform finish that way if you use water and your fingers to "sand" away the excess. Since it's water soluble, your finger will dip into the rivet slightly and leave that bare hint of it.