HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

21 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

This is already something very special. When finished it will be one of the most unique builds featured here on LSP or anywhere else for that matter! 

She’s gonna be absolutely stunning Craig!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks so much Wolf! It's so good (and such a relief!) to see it finally looking the part. I can't wait to get that fuselage together, but I'm not going to rush it.... lots more to do yet.

4 hours ago, TKB said:

Craig,

Too big or not, you better hang onto that "framed" nose piece! Outside of the model itself, that nose piece is a work of art all on it's own! 

Terry

Thanks Terry! It taught me a lot; there's no way I would ever bin it ;) 

4 hours ago, JayW said:

Craig - where are you going to put this monster?  Seattle's Museum of Flight just might be able to make some room for it....

Hahaha! Very true Jay, I'd love to photograph it in front of a real one someday, but I think the shipping cost to get it to the states would bankrupt me!

2 hours ago, airscale said:

just so awesome - it looks sooo right

i think what you have done is remarkable Craig, in talent, ambition, determination, resourcefulness, creativity and a million other nouns..

the upshot is, you nailed it!

I feel your pride - getting her on her wheels is one of THE moments in this (and any other) build :)

Peter

Thanks so much Peter! You should know that between you and Terry, I'm holding you both largely responsible for the many turns and twists that have happened to get to this point (entirely through raising the bars and throwing out challenges), and that's in no way at all a bad thing!!!!! :)

Cheers,

Craig

Many years ago, I was a novice modeler who hadn't built anything in ~30 years.  I had just learned that a company had started making a 1/32 scale B-17.  I couldn't believe it, so I googled it.  One of the results was this thread, round about the time you were working on the bomb bay, I think.  I remember we were riding in the car at the time, and I leaned over to my wife, showed her some of your pictures and said, "Check this out!  Can you believe it?  This guy's nuts!"  

Little did I realize what a tiny tip of a massive (and growing) iceberg that was.  This thread is what brought me to LSP and it still delivers all these years later.  Amazing work, Craig.  I wish I had a fraction of your patience.  Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your kind words there Chuck. I'll definitely take the "nuts" tag any day ;). I'm certainly humbled that I was somewhat responsible for your membership on this forum and I'm glad that my thread has gained notoriety among 1/32 B-17 google searches!

You are right, it was just a very small tip of a very massive iceberg :) and I'm very glad that it still continues to hold your interest!

Cheers,

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Got a little bit more done before I'm away for a few days....

I needed to get stuck into the "under the cockpit" area. As you could expect from following this build so far, almost every photo of this area has a different layout in almost every single B-17. Luckily I had some photos of the Swoose that gave away just enough of an idea of the area to be useful!

The area immediately opposite the forward entry door (and hence the most visible section) contained an angled door which housed the emergency bomb release mechanism and then above that were the various servos and gyros that controlled the autopilot. Towards the rear of the compartment were de-icing valves and piping and oxygen bottles. In the Swoose (as my most accurate early B-17 reference, the autopilot equipment was housed behind another series of hinged doors. I suspect this may have been added in her later life as a VIP transport, but I decided I'd include them anyway....

10/07

I also added the walkway, which is almost impossible to photograph now as it sits in front of that assembly and the oxygen bottle at the rear. There's more to add yet, but it's progress. It was super tricky to add this detail inside the half completed fuselage because access is very restricted in there..... definitely didn't plan that one well!!!!!

Good to know the lighting still works too! :)

Here's how it will look through the open door, well sort of.....

10/07

And for the super keen eyed when viewing from the front :)

10/07

Hopefully some more fitting out in the tail section to follow soon!

Cheers,

Craig

Craig,

You know there is another "hi-tech" piece of equipment you're going to have to invest it. One of those super-duper CIA mini video cameras with the remote control flexible shaft. How else are you going to be able to show off all the great detail and workmanship after you "button her up!" A "walk-thru" of a 1/32 B-17 that is more accurate then most restored Forts!

Of course, it's probably already crossed your mind of building a "de-skinned, skeletonized"  version ... hasn't it! Wouldn't put it past you!

Terry

On 7/11/2021 at 7:43 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

Speechless!  You have set a high bar indeed for the rest of us with large kits like this....great inspiration for my HpH Catalina and C-47

Thanks Anthony! You're a brave man to tackle both of those kits from what I've seen, but I'm looking forward to when you do!

On 7/11/2021 at 10:10 AM, TKB said:

Craig,

You know there is another "hi-tech" piece of equipment you're going to have to invest it. One of those super-duper CIA mini video cameras with the remote control flexible shaft. How else are you going to be able to show off all the great detail and workmanship after you "button her up!" A "walk-thru" of a 1/32 B-17 that is more accurate then most restored Forts!

Of course, it's probably already crossed your mind of building a "de-skinned, skeletonized"  version ... hasn't it! Wouldn't put it past you!

Terry

Hahaha! Thanks Terry! You know I did see on another forum that there's a guy whose ultimate aim is to scratchbuild a flying 1/3 scale Wellington. He has done the turrets sof far and intends to hide cameras inside dummy crew for exactly that same thing. As much as I'd love to do the same, I'll never have enough space for something like that! At least I've got all these photos to look back on, and it also keeps me honest about trying to keep the clear parts as clean as possible!

On 7/11/2021 at 11:02 AM, scvrobeson said:

Great to see the true internal workings of the B-17, and all of the detail work that you're putting into this one. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Matt 

Thanks Matt. For years I believed there was a ladder under the cockpit as most restored ones have, but from what I can see, they weren't in wartime forts.... at least not early ones. Every day is a school day on this build!

On 7/11/2021 at 2:00 PM, Wolf Buddee said:

Just freakin’ awesome Craig!

:o :bow::clap2:

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf!!! Always a pleasure! :)

Craig

Hi Craig,

What a defining moment! well done (dedication and perseverance at its very best). I am so pleased that your own long hard slog and efforts on your build have finally brought you to this point of inspiration and enthusiasm to forge ahead to completion. Even at this stage - to my eye - your model looks extremely convincing and 'right'.

Congratulation.

Derek

Craig,

While the early Forts had a ladder at the main fuselage hatch and some later versions had a fold down "two step" at the crew entry hatch, I've never seen anything for the front hatch. Closest I've seen are  photos of some wooden maintenance step ladders in place under the front hatch.

Every B-17 veteran I've ever spoken with said that the "upsey daisy" contortion up into the front hatch is pure "Hollywood!"  They all said everybody, except the tail gunner, climbed in through the crew entry hatch  --- it might not have had that "zing" it added to Gregory Peck and Steve McQueen's entries --- but it was far easier! Likewise they said the tail gunner always used his hatch, it was easier the contending with the tail wheel, cables and everything else back there.

Personally, I think the front hatch was mainly an "bailout"  hatch and the most convenient way to load the bomb sight, guns and ammunition into the nose. 

Terry

21 hours ago, Derek B said:

Hi Craig,

What a defining moment! well done (dedication and perseverance at its very best). I am so pleased that your own long hard slog and efforts on your build have finally brought you to this point of inspiration and enthusiasm to forge ahead to completion. Even at this stage - to my eye - your model looks extremely convincing and 'right'.

Congratulation.

Derek

Thanks so much Derek! I really appreciate it. It's posting this build on this forum that really has kept me going the whole time, and I'm so glad that I've been able to share it with you :)

14 hours ago, TKB said:

Craig,

While the early Forts had a ladder at the main fuselage hatch and some later versions had a fold down "two step" at the crew entry hatch, I've never seen anything for the front hatch. Closest I've seen are  photos of some wooden maintenance step ladders in place under the front hatch.

Every B-17 veteran I've ever spoken with said that the "upsey daisy" contortion up into the front hatch is pure "Hollywood!"  They all said everybody, except the tail gunner, climbed in through the crew entry hatch  --- it might not have had that "zing" it added to Gregory Peck and Steve McQueen's entries --- but it was far easier! Likewise they said the tail gunner always used his hatch, it was easier the contending with the tail wheel, cables and everything else back there.

Personally, I think the front hatch was mainly an "bailout"  hatch and the most convenient way to load the bomb sight, guns and ammunition into the nose. 

Terry

Thanks as always for chiming in Terry! :) I'm actually planning on attacking the main cabin entry ladder very soon and am looking forward to it; it'll certainly make the area directly opposite the door look a lot more complete especially under all the oxygen bottles.

This is the "ladder" I was referring to in my previous post...

IMG_0449

I think a lot of modern flying examples have them so passengers can move around easier. I'm reasonably confident that Yankee Lady has one too, although I'll have to check my Oshkosh photos. Bottom line though, I'm pretty sure the wartime forts didn't have it, and it certainly doesn't feature in the D model E&M. :)

Cheers,

Craig

On 7/20/2021 at 10:04 PM, brahman104 said:

Damn it! Now I'm going to have to build a B model too!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks thanks for the heads up Dennis :)

Craig

You’re going to have to move house again to get a bigger workshop. And another 3D printer. And a tig welder. And…