HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

8 hours ago, tomprobert said:

What some of you can do with metal never ceases to amaze me. Brilliant stuff. 

Thanks Tom! I've got to admit this one almost beat be and I was reaching for the Pewter sheet, which is much more forgiving. In the end I gave it another go and I'm glad I did. But what I didn't mention in the post was each attempt took about 4 hours, which is not conducive to timely model completion......

4 hours ago, JayW said:

Wow Craig - big challenge there and you got through it fine!  I have one in my future too, and I prefer to not even think about it right now.

Thanks Jay! I've still got a few more to do yet which will be even more challenging, but I'll deal with them when they come up. From what I've seen of the way you've already mastered working with metal, you'll make short work of them! ;) 

Craig

Craig,

Just got caught up.

Beautiful work on the second waist gun position. Very delicate work, but then this whole project is delicate work at one degree or another, isn't it?

The tail lights look great through the tail cone --- shows how clear and distortion free the tail cone is.

Truly outstanding work on the fin fillet! As you said the horizontal stabs fillets look to be a even bigger challenge. The fillets are really pulling the empennage together, but the red, white and blue rudder will be the piece de resistance. Biting at the bit for that, aren't you!

I can't help but wonder what the wings hold ahead. A lot of work for sure, but straight forward or looming surprises?

Terry

Thanks Terry! Much happier now I've finally got that second waist window in for sure! I'd like to get the entry door done too, but I'm still debating what to do with it..... another of those pieces I didn't really think about (like the bomb bay) as far as if it needs to be functional to open and close it to preserve the fuselage lines. That's a future Craig problem anyway!

Yes you are correct, I'm hanging to get some colour on! :) Just need to get the rudder cleaned up a bit more and then it's go time. 

As for the wings, a lot of work, but I'm hoping that most of it will be pretty straightforward.... I DO need to think about how I'm actually going to power the lights; my original plan was to have a battery in the wing and accessed under the fuel tank covers, but there's also the possibility of running the wires down through the gear leg and out through the tyre. Complex, but may be a better solution overall?

Still thinking about that one, opinions welcome!

Craig

• 1 month later...

It's been a while!

Not spectacular progress, but it did take ages to get to this point. The colours on the rudder (red,white and black) demand the highest standards of surface finish I can possibly achieve. I've lost count of how many layers of primer followed by sanding I had to do to get things to this point.

Someone who wasn't thinking ahead also needed to re-attach the trim tabs, which of course required even more smoothing work. Finally I felt I'd got it to a point ready to add the trim tab actuator fairings, made in much the same way as how Peter does them for his various builds, just much smaller..... :). I also marked out where the different colour bands were going to run, hence the mess of pen marks.......

1/10

I wanted to make the rib stitching a bit more pronounced (after I'd spent FOREVER trying to remove the printed detail I'd added -- yes I do like to make life hard for myself!). So I cut some plain decal strip and lay it over where the stitching should be. I also doubled it for a bit more of an effect. Not entirely sure how it'll come out, but it will need quite a few gloss coats to seal prior to the masking tape.......

1/10

That's all for now. Just plodding along slowly! :) 

Cheers,

Craig

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 24/7 1/10 Tail prep
  • 2 weeks later...

Ladies and Gents, we have paint!!!!!

15/10

After an exorbitant amount of masking and prep work, especially on the tail to make sure the decal "rib tapes" weren't going to come off, I was finally able to start spraying. This was the first time I've used SMS (Scale Modeller's Supply) paints and I have to say I've never enjoyed airbrushing more! The line even includes a clear etch primer, so I made made judicious use of it prior to the colours going on. 

With great trepidation I removed the masking tape and only had the slightest of lifting on one small section of the nose anti-glare (more than likely me being heavy handed). Otherwise they seem to have produced a tough and smooth finish. I can't recommend these enough! I know people rave about MRP paints, but I can't get them in NZ, so I'm certainly happy to stick with these for now! :) 

15/10

15/10

15/10

15/10

15/10

The rib tape looks a little rough, but I think the effect came out well overall. Still a tiny bit of overspray to fix later but I'll get to that. For now I'm just stoked to see some colour on the big girl after all this time!

I'm sure most of you will be thinking that you've never seen a C model with a yellow fuselage band.... and you are right.... I liked the look of the B model (in my avatar) so much I'm using that colour scheme instead. This may be a travesty to some, but I think it just looks a bit bland without something in the middle ;) ...

A point to note from my last post too, is that the vertical stripe on the rudder is in fact insignia BLUE not black. I did have the colour already sorted but had a brain-fart when writing the post :).

Next up, I need to do some numbers and Squadron markings. Going with the B model theme, the 2nd BG (32nd SQN I think) patch looks cool too, so I'm going to be doing that. Not sure what number to put on the side yet...

Anyway, enjoy the non-monochrome post for a change!

Craig

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 15/10 Cloudy with a chance of overspray....

Wow. It looks incredible. I think your choice of scheme is great - and most people wouldn’t know the difference between a B and a C anyway!

That must have done wonders for the mojo too - there’s nothing better than splashing some paint. 

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
Typos