HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

A bit more progress on the outer nacelle. Some of the panels are pretty tricky to discern the shape, but I'd say I'm reasonably close...... The top big access cover is not stuck on yet; still needs details and some adjustment to get it to fit nicely.

Lots and lots of little tricky panels, only another 3 engines to go! At least the RH wing *should* be easier as I'll know the sizes and shapes of the panels......

22/7

22/7

22/7

The wing is starting to look more complete now!

22/7-1

Many, many more hours to get yet on this wing alone, but it is somewhat therapeutic!

Cheers,

Craig

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/22/2023 at 9:20 PM, Gazzas said:

Just fantastic, Craig!  Eye candy!

Thanks Gaz!

On 7/23/2023 at 10:25 PM, CANicoll said:

103 pages!!  This needs to be an E-Book.  Super work!  Chris

Hahaha! Hopefully the internet is still around by the time I finish this :rofl:

On 7/24/2023 at 1:20 AM, scvrobeson said:

You're a madman Craig, but it really does look fantastic. Can't wait to see you do it 3 more times

Matt 

Thanks Matt, yeah not sure how excited I am about it, but the only way is through right?!

On 9/29/2023 at 9:44 AM, KiwiZac said:

Magic work Craig, I'm so excited to see the next update!

Thanks Zac, I see that NZ2423 is getting pretty close to flying, I'm pretty excited about those updates!!!!! ;) 

12 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Any updates, Craig? I need my B-17 fix!

Hey Tom! Thanks for keeping me honest :). Been a bit happening, but things are moving in the right direction!

Right lads (and ladettes), 

Last update was July; pretty disgraceful but I have a good excuse...... 

After 4 years we are finally back in a place to call our own again (was definitely over apartment living!!!!!!). With that comes the joy of having all our stuff (well mainly my tools and machinery) under one roof instead of being stuck in storage. It looks like for the most part everything has survived pretty well, but there's a huge amount of setting up and organising still to go.

The great news is that the new house is absolutely epic (a gorgeous Queenslander built pre-war) with so much space underneath it has allowed me to have two separate work areas - one for metal working and general shop stuff and the other specifically for modelling :yahoo: and so after 2 international and one local move the B-17 finally has a permanent home! I actually kind of feel like this model has travelled almost as much as the real Swoose!

Anyway here's the "heavy duty" area:

31/10

And here's a general picture of the WIP new bench setup. Still long way to go, but it's definitely the best workspace I've ever had!

31/10

Look what's on the bench!!!!

Hopefully the 3D printers still work. I've only just found the power leads for them again.......:whistle:

If any of you are following the NMUSAF's restoration of the Swoose, you might find this picture familiar.....  ;) 

31/10

Work is still extremely hectic at the moment but I'm chipping away at the setup and hopefully won't be too long before I can recommence work on the big girl again!

Thanks for continuing to follow along after all these years!

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 31/10 a new base

Such a great job on the B-17! I have an F model to build myself.

I have been to Townsville several times when I was stationed at 

Kadena AB, Okinawa in the MC-130. You are right...lots of sharks

and they had bins with vinegar for jelly fish stings. The scenery

was pretty good to look at and even better over on Magnetic Island.

I miss my Castlemains XXXX.....:rolleyes:

Cheers...Ron

Fantastic, Craig - a workspace I can only dream of! I'm still residing on the kitchen table - when her indoors allows me to!

Good to see you settling in and the Fort looks as good as ever - we'll be waiting patently for an update when you get back to it. No pressure..!

All the best,

Tom