1/18 SBD-5 Dauntless - update 18/11/16 - FINISHED!!

richdlc

• 4 weeks later...

Although I am, quite frankly, unworthy to comment on such a masterpiece I have to say how absolutely jawdropping your work is.  My feeble attempts to add detail fall incredibly short when I look at work such as this.  

Joe

thank you guys, I appreciate the comments!  It actually motivates me to keep going.  Am kind of stuck at the moment as I'm waiting for some detail shots of the engine and accessory compartment from a contact.  Hope to start building again soon

cheers

• 1 month later...

*update 12/09/15*

Hi - after a long spell away from modelling, I got my mojo back and started working on the big Dauntless again a couple of weeks ago.

First of all, I am pleased to say that I now have the fuselage halves glued. Here are some final shots of all the interior detail glued in place 

IMG_4717_zpslwdkfz6d.jpg

IMG_4716_zps1qmz0o6j.jpg

IMG_4714_zpsxjqhxitw.jpg

IMG_4709_zpspppuwsmz.jpg

IMG_4710_zpswvcepeje.jpg

Next, I started working on the engine accessory compartment.  I am going to show the left hand panels removed (and also the left hand cowling to show off the engine).

I made the decision to go ahead, even though I lacked photos of certain areas. At the end of the day, much of the detail is going to end up hidden, and I had to fight my normal urge to detail everything, regardless.  In the long run I think this will work out OK.

Here's some pics to illustrate my point..

Here's what the left side of the accessory compartment looks like:

DSC_0212_zpsnrd7tmw1.jpg

DSC_0213_zpsolfekzy6.jpg

As you can see, a lot of details..but most of the stuff on the right is hidden from view.

The detail in the kit is fairly good - for starters, the oil tank, engine frame, rear of engine and firewall are all present.  I began by detailing the firewall by adding the internal ribs as seen in the photos above. There is also a kind of 'membrane' between the engine rear and the firewall, which I replicated with a circle of thin plastic sheet.

IMG_6040_zps50inmx9c.jpg

Various details were added to the engine mount frame, and the engine rear according to ref pics - note, only on the left side!IMG_6037_zpsfm6nbool.jpg

IMG_6038_zps1fkqfz8r.jpg

The auxiliary air intakes are completely absent from the kit but are prominent items that can't be overlooked.

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-12%20at%2015.57.

I cannibalised the section of engine cowling that I have removed as it already had the curve I needed, and built it up with plastic card and filler, sanded to shape 

IMG_6039_zpsejtukeaw.jpg

Honestly, the right hand one could have been dispensed with as it is completely hidden, but in the interests of symmetry (and to satisfy my OCD) I made it..

The kit provides an oil cooler mount, but no oil cooler!  Again, too big an item to ignore. I built mine up with plastic tube and plastic card, with some PE mesh for the screens.

IMG_4721_zpscn4vlc23.jpg

IMG_6041_zpsfuczdidu.jpg

IMG_6042_zpsblx5irms.jpg

In this photo you can see I have modified the opening it sits over.  You can also see the engine mount bulkhead. I had to add a 'false' bulkhead from plastic card. For some reason the bulkhead in the kit began life perfectly flat, but after being squished into the fuselage it distorted horribly and I was no longer left with a flat surface. The only way around it as far as I could see was to make this replacement bulkhead. Unfortunately this now means that everything is now around 2mm too far forward.  I had to cut a recess into my new bulkhead for the oil tank to sit in, and it just about clears the back of the engine!

IMG_6036_zpsdfdl8h8j.jpg

You can see also the throttle control linkage and various other accoutrements - some of these are very rudimentary as they will not be visible except at acute angles.  Others will have a lot more detail added later.  For now, the basic shapes are there...

Here's a pic showing all the parts dry-fitted.  Note how the focus is now on the left hand side, with much of the right hand side hidden from view.  Once the oil filter is in place, and all the piping and wiring that I need to add, things will become even more crowded.

IMG_6034_zpsloxttatc.jpg

Finally, here is an example of one of the fuselage mods I need to make for the dash-five version, the kit being a dash three/four.  The SBD-5 had a taller, thinner cooling slot in the accessory compartment, whereas the 3/4 variant had a wider, smaller slot. The kit has a mixture of both these features, having the height of the dash-5 slot, but the width of the dash-3/4. I removed the offending material and filled most of the resulting hole with plastic card and filler.  Don't forget that this plane will be skinned in metal, so all the flaws will hopefully disappear!

IMG_6044_zps5u22kggx.jpg

That's where I am up to as of today.  I am eagerly awaiting some hoses, tubes and fittings so I can begin adding the myriad of wires and plumbing to the accessory compartment, so more updates soon!

Thanks for looking

Rich

thanks guys

yep, I'm a 1/18 convert for sure.  I would actually prefer 1/16 as there are a large number of 120mm / 1/16 figures that would be suitable for dioramas etc. but not really that many 90mm / 1/18 options..

apart from that, you can really go for all the small, fiddly details

Guest Peterpools

Rich

Great to see the mojo is back and the juices are flowing. Looking just tremendous and blown away by your craftsmanship.

Keep 'em coming

Peter