1/18 SBD-5 Dauntless - update 18/11/16 - FINISHED!!

richdlc

• 4 weeks later...

*update 24/6/15*

Hi - update time

A lot has happened since my last update, so I'll dive straight in.

Right at the very start of the build, I decided to show both the baggage compartment and the life raft compartment open.  I drilled out the corresponding hatches on the fuselage halves, and scratched the interior. To make it easier to test-fit as I went along, I chopped out a section of the right hand fuselage (the baggage compartment side).  I added bulkheads, ribs and stringers etc.  In fact, I added a lot of stuff that will eventually be hidden, but it was important to me that when you look through the open hatch, there are details as far back into the fuselage as it is possible to see, and I achieved this.

Here's a picture from the D&S book showing the baggage compartment, with the flare tubes visible inside the fuselage:

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-24%20at%2014.07.

The fuselage interior - at the top is the opening through which the flare tubes are loaded.  Fore of that is the bottom of the ‘trough' in which the twin 0.30 cals are stowed:

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-03%20at%2012.46.

And finally, looking rearwards from the open baggage compartment door. You can see the flare tubes to the right, and beyond that, the arresting hook snubbing cylinder:

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-24%20at%2014.06.

I added as much detail as I thought was necessary from plastic sheet, strip and rod - the life raft storage compartment was made from a couple of old large scale bomb bodies:

IMG_4226_zpshlktv7sp.jpg

IMG_4231_zpstaypkest.jpg

Other side:

IMG_4232_zpsj8axco4d.jpg

You can't see that much once the removed section of fuselage is back in place (Note: Once the airframe is skinned in metal, the opening will of course be scale thickness)

IMG_4228_zps9njp0glh.jpg

IMG_4227_zpsrmrwbvly.jpg

Even more details were then added to the cockpit floor, such as the gunner's rudder pedals, the wobble pump handle and the various wires and tubes that will be visible on the finished model:

IMG_4398_zpsvmzsu2nj.jpg

Smoke grenades, oxygen bottle, gunner's airspeed indicator etc:

IMG_4403_zpsxgycvcpo.jpg

This looks really great :goodjob:

Is the seat already final? Maybe the belts would lie around a bit caoticly in a crashed aircraft? Just a thought :hmmm:

Cheers

Alex

thanks Alex.  I decided a couple of months ago not to do a crashed aircraft (been there, done that). I just knocked the seatbelt together from some spare 1/24 German ones from Eduard plus some more pewter sheet for the lap belt.

Wow, Rich, that is really, really good! The scratch building in the fuselage is amazing and the paintwork in the cockpit is super convincing. Great work!!

Jim

Thanks a lot Jim. Unfortunately a lot will be hidden once the fuselage halves are closed up but hey, that's life. To compensate, I'll add as much detail as I can to the fuselage itself - aiming to have the engine on display, tailwheel mechanism showing, dive brakes open etc. Many more months work ahead..

Wow, that is spectacular, Rich! Great work!

Thanks a lot Ray, glad you dig it.

More updates soon!

thanks guys...well this is an ex US machine, French Navy circa 1947. I figure it would have been to hell and back, especially with exposure to salt water. Interior has salt weathering, and yes, initially it was too heavy. This is the touched up version!  But like I also said, most of this detail is immediately hidden later. Trust me, it looks better with the fuselage halves buttoned up and everything glued in place ;-)

• 3 weeks later...