Revell Bae Hawk with special anniversary scheme

Zero77

Here is the work on the engine intakes. I've used the wall paint technique. The color should be a very light grey, but i've simply used a slightly satin white. It looks good for me. Then i've masked the intake ends, sprayed a coat of black and carefully glued the remaining parts. Then i had to apply some putty to erase a line that must not be there. After a bit of sanding it looks correct.

20141203_231841_zpsd4c6b3f8.jpg
20141203_001245_zpse9272c02.jpg
20141014_231122_zps1e64f467.jpg
20141014_231053_zps8c20df4b.jpg

Now the rear cockpit bulkhead. The CMK part is not very accurate, but it looks more busy than the revell part, so i've decided to use it. I've just drill the 2 holes and add some rivets (archer).

20141206_174404_zpsb42d42a3.jpg
20141206_174356_zps97c1f8ad.jpg
20141205_001656_zpsdf46ea69.jpg

• 9 months later...

Hi, I stumbled on this thread and I hope it get's redirected to the WIP section so that we can enjoy your progress. I know the Hawk fairly well and have worked on this very airframe both before and during it's display scheme. I agree that the rear bulkhead is not a true rendition of the real thing, as is the rear starboard side console, however as this area is almost impossible to see with a closed canopy. You are also correct in that the flaps are indeed in the "landing" fully lowered position when parked.

There are also issues with the intake trunking but again it is only relevant if you were crawling down it. Also the cockpit floor needs lowering by a few mil but again it is only relevant if you are flying the aircraft.

I have seen plenty of stunning models made with this kit and I am sure given the chosen scheme, as will yours. My own kit, though started, has joined the "pending" line of kits waiting for me to get in the mood again for the subject. I suffer from "over ambition" and would like to extend my limited skills before I feel confident enough to tackle the a fore mentioned issues with any kit and then I can then begin to call myself a reasonable competent modeler. I have been inspired by this site to try new techniques. I hope that your build will give me the desire to re approach my own Hawk build, my only problem would be as to which scheme to apply to it ( I have been on 19 and 208 Squadrons ).

Best of builds to you,

Bob.

Can a moderator move this build into the WIP section, please?

It stalled some months ago, but i think i will take it from the shelf of doom pretty soon. The poor abandonned model is always watching me, and i cant bear it anymore, i have to tackle it one more time !

Done!

Kev

Thanks guys for the kind words, and thanks Kev for moving the thread.

I hope to get back to it in a few days, maybe next weekend. I have to clean it from dust and gather every parts because there are sub-assemblies everywhere in the room. :)

What i mostly fear is the decaling. With such large decals on so much large areas, it will certainly be tricky.

Hello, I will watch your build as well... I've bought this decal set too, but I have postponed this build because of the size of the decals too. I have worked with xtradecals before, and they are well responding to MicroSet and Sol. Do you know, if this particular color scheme was using a full set of stencils? I don't see them in any photos...

Very nice Nicolas .... Quick question: is the presence of two "horizon balls" on the IP prototypical ?

Hubert

That's when you want to be absolutely sure to be horizontal. :)

Honestly, i dont know, i dont even have checked my references about it, and i did not even notice it. These are pre-printed IP, so i built them as they came.