Horten hears a Deere - Ho229 back from the dead!

seiran01

Here's today's work - the lower fuselage frame with two smaller center frames added. The box at the back is the drag parachute housing, and is molded into the lower frame.

I was hoping to have a little more progress to share tonight but cleaning up the mold seams took much longer than anticipated.  If anyone will be at the NoVa meeting tomorrow (Rick? Vivian? anyone else?), I'm planning to bring this with me to share.

I think the rest of the interior is best assembled in as many sub-assemblies as possible to ease alignment in gluing before painting. Use your best judgement when you tackle this, it's a maze of piping and will be easy to miss painting something if you aren't paying attention.

IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

Always wondered what the box was at the rear!! Thought initially it was ballast!!

After seeing the complexity of the tubular frame, makes me wonder what the tooling gigs looked like to get that all aligned up properly and consistently!! An amazing model actually! Wow!!

Cheers

Alan

A little more tonight; IPMS meeting and post meeting drink ran a little long :innocent:

You can see the rear main frame assembly in the bottom of the photo and attached sitting in place without glue in the lower photo. This assembly contains the battery, control surface actuator, and main gear hydraulic cylinder. Will be painted before attaching.

The battery should probably have a scrap piece of sheet plastic added to form the back side as it's otherwise hollow, but unless you display the engines removed, i highly doubt anyone could see the back of the battery considering the proximity to an engine.

IMAG0048_1.jpg

IMAG0049_1.jpg

Thanks gents. Scottsman, no respect is deserved by me, I'm just the assembler, however I will agree that ZM deserves a boatload of respect for their efforts!.

I was challenged at the meeting last night to finish half of the plane in unpainted wood/metal as a few others have done with recent German subjects. I'm open to this but not convinced just yet. Can anyone verify what panels would have been metal? I know the bulk was wood and figure the metal was limited to engine cowls and panels immediately behind, gear doors, canopy frame etc, but can't determine if other external bits were also metal.

Thanks

Very nice, Mike! Thanks for putting this out there for those of us that are chomping at the bit to get this kit. 

in the states we call it K'NEX

Never heard the term K'Nex before this thread, but maybe age is an issue (48). However, K'Nex appears to be the same as the Erector sets I remember having as a kid. my first reaction was that the structure looked like Tinker Toys.

D