Pacific Coast Models 32nd scale- Hawker Tempest Mk.V- 33 Sqn, BAFO,

Big Tony

Hiya Folks,

Me again,......but the last one for a while! This is another one which has been underway for a while but I`ve finally got around to finishing it and it was a very nice kit to build, it just needed a bit of fettling along the way. Markings are mostly from the kit but the roundels and fin flashes are from the spares box as the colours in kit ones were a bit bright, and unfortunately the crown on the 33 Sqn badge on the fin is a current Queens crown rather than the correct Kings crown from the late 1940`s! As I have a soft spot for 33 Sqn (they put me forward for an award while serving with them in Turkey!) the model represents SN213/ 5R-S from this unit when it formed part of the post war British Air Forces of Occupation (BAFO) in Germany, Although the kit includes highly accurate drop tanks with clear fairings I left these off the model as these were not present on my reference photo of the real thing. Anyway here is the model;

tempest1_zpsbf6177c2.jpg

tempest9_zpsc46158c8.jpg

tempest8_zps575c1faf.jpg

tempest3_zpsb48070aa.jpg

tempest4_zpsc65cfa34.jpg

tempest5_zps6bd07cf1.jpg

tempest6_zps8ee04682.jpg

tempest7_zpsa4d940c5.jpg

tempest1_zpsbf6177c2.jpg

tempest3_zpsb48070aa.jpg

The main silver paintwork was from a Tamiya rattle can but the rest was brush painted with Xtradecal WW2 Roundel Blue for the spinner and Polly Scale matt varnish added to the silver to better represent worn RAF High Speed Silver which was applied over the original grey/green finish. The only addition to the basic model was the use of Barracuda Cast resin post war Tempest wheels which had the distinctive block tread. I can now move on to my part built PCM Hurricane Mk.I which will have a Vokes filter,....probably a Malta aircraft but who knows??

Hope you like it,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Big Tony

Outstanding!  I just resumed work on this one recently and got some camouflage masks.  Nothing like seeing a brilliantly done aircaft to serve as inspiration!

Well done!

Tim W.

Guest Peterpools

Tony

OUTSTANDING! Just a beautiful build all the  way around and the finish is right up my alley.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks everybody,. glad you like it!

That is really just fantastic Tony! Amazing finished too. May I publish it on the website?

Kev

Please feel free Kev, I`d be honoured,

Cheers

Tony

Yup, that is beautiful.  The silver finish is such a refreshing change.

I am partway into this kit, but I sort of stopped when I realized that my assembled cockpit was way too wide to fit inside the fuselage.  Did I do something wrong or did you have that problem also?

Thanks everybody, glad you like it.

John- it isn`t NMF, the silver represents painted silver (sometimes called RAF High Speed Silver) which was applied over the original camouflage paint on the real aircraft! 

Bryan- Yes, I had to narrow the cockpit framework slightly and the radiator was a bit of a challenge too! It needs a bit of `fettling' to get it together, especially when joining the wings to the fuselage but the constructions isn`t too demanding really.

Cheers

Tony