Revell's 1/32 Spitfire II

Edgar Brooks

I've been loaned one, for a couple of hours, so have had a chance for a quick assessment:-
1/. it needs a "Mk.I" oil cooler.
2/. it needs the crowbar deleting, unless your model dates after January 1942 (the fit was retrospective.)
3/. 2-bar rudder pedals are o.k., but need the fabric straps over the top.
4/. gun button was brass, with a silver surround, not red (post-war elfin safety?)
5/. Very pistol cartridge rack was normally left off, and Castle Bromwich had (red) plastic seats, not (green) metal.
6/. seat armour is missing.
7/, seat backrest has an odd depression moulded in, which I've never seen.
8/. I have no idea what part 40 is, and 41 (oxygen bottle) should be black, not green.
9/. part 42 (compressed-air bottles) was silver, not green.
9/. rudder and elevators' "stitching" is overdone.
10/. I have no idea what the two small "lozenges" (on the top of each wing) are.
11/. unless your Mk.II dates from 1940, the rudder "prong" shouldn't be there, neither should the aerial.
12/. post 1940, IFF aerials were fitted, and the positions of the discs, in the fuselage, are marked.
13/. if you drop the flaps, the door, in the top of the wing, needs to be cut out, and opened.
14/. 50B is/are/were "station keeping lights," which might have been coloured like the navigation lights, but that remains a mystery, for now.
15/. while over-prominent, and requiring filler, the "rivets" are nowhere near as bad as the photos appeared to show.
16/. the fuselage is about 2mm shorter than the Hasegawa Vb (all at the spinner end,) but it doesn't "shout," and it appears to have better curvature than the (somewhat slab-sided) Hasegawa fuselage.
17/, wingspan and chord (minus wingtips) are identical to the Hasegawa Vb.
18/. Revell have matched Tamiya, in the wheel wells, by providing back-sloping walls - very well done - but the "orifices" are too oval.
19/. there are three oblong "protuberances" on the spinner, but Revell do tell you to file them off, so maybe a necessity of the moulding process.
20/. Revell have confused Sky with Sky Blue (oh, yes, they have.)
21/. instrument panel is fixed, but is missing the landing lights control.

I hope you'll pardon me cutting and pasting this from another site, but the owner wants it back, and I felt speed was of the essence.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar Brooks

Thanks for the review from someone who actually has experience with the full size aircraft (or its siblings). I appreciate the chance to see corrections where possible and this sounds quite interesting. Hopefully I can back date it to black and white under the wings.

Tnarg

With regard to no. 8, in my assessment, I've just realised that, when Revell got the instrument panel "about face," they might have done the same with its fittings, so 40 could be the landing lights lever, which was fitted over the left "arch" where the pilot's left leg went, not the right cockpit wall, as shown in the instructions. Sorry, but revelations don't all come when you want them to.

Edgar.

Hopefully I can back date it to black and white under the wings.

Only if you "convert" it into a Mk.I, since black/white went out before the Mk.II arrived. Sky/black is a (fleeting) possibility, though.

Thanks Edgar. Sounds like a "goer" then?

"Modelling skills needed" is the expression, I think. Edited by Edgar Brooks

Thanks Edgar!! ...

You are the bomb! ... Always good to have someone who actually KNOWS the subject matter report on a kit 'sight seen' ... without the inflammatory dramatics!! :D :D

I don't suppose you'll be providing us with any suggestions on correcting some of the above 'issues' ?? ... For example - I'd be interested to look at your solution to the oil cooler problem ... I asked, on another thread, whether we might be able to just 'half' the one supplied in order to achieve the result required (excuse my ignorance on this ... and my crude description of the tweak!!) ... Otherwise this looks like the only MAJOR fix required - the others being reasonably easy and ... dare I say it - standard modelling work??!! :DodgeBall:

Er ... I'll go now :D

Rog :)

I don't suppose you'll be providing us with any suggestions on correcting some of the above 'issues' ?? ... For example - I'd be interested to look at your solution to the oil cooler problem

I'd try to make half of a bomb, droptank, or missile fit; the shape isn't very complicated:-

oilcooler_zps6e437714.jpglarge2_zps43660b45.jpg

Edited by Edgar Brooks