1/24th

LSP_Mike

Very few 1:24 birds I'd be interested in, beyond the ones I already own. If anything, the majority (but not all), of new kit purchases for me in the foreseeable future will be 1:48.

1/48?......Where did I put that pitch fork.... :hmmm: :frantic:

gimme a Sea Fury in 1/24 and I think i would actually slide off my chair and be unable to assemble anything for the drool i would be swimming in...

Peter

When I spoke to the designer of the Airfix Tiffie kit we both mulled over some possibilities that we considered 'surefire' hits.

I mentioned the Sea Fury and the idea met with a big smile, a rolling of the eyes, and a licking of lips.

Other subjects discussed didn't meet with anything like the same response!

I adore 1/24 scale, but as with others here, the biggest problem is storage at this time.

Having said that, the Tiffie kit is already on pre-order with Hannants, oh dear, the willpower to resist is so weak these days!! :wacko:

Edited by Royboy

1/48?......Where did I put that pitch fork.... :hmmm: :frantic:

The great thing about 1/48 scale kits is that I can use them as 3D references and simply double the size of everything (if it is accurate) in order  to produce a new 1/24 scale model!   ;)

Derek

I'd actually be happy to see some of the older Airfix "Superkits" re-worked. I would love to see the Spitfire Mk I re-tooled to the quality of the Typhoon, along with a Mk IX and Mk XIV. And then, I would be a happy bunny to see the Bf 109E and Mustang receive the same treatment.

As for a new subject, I'm not sure. Knowing Airfix, it would more than likely be a UK subject, but a biplane would be nice, such as a Gladiator or Fury. I'm really not sure what I would put my money on as I would never have guessed the Typhoon. A nice subject though, with it's FAA ties, would be an F4U.

As for size, I don't think that 1/24 scale is the monster people make it out to be. A 1/24 Spitfire is about the same size as a 1/72 Lancaster, and I see enough of them built up!

Regards;
Steve

Steve is correct...a 1/24 P-51 is actually smaller in span than a 32nd AD-1, my 24th 190D-9 isn't much bigger in span than a 32nd P-47, or even my 48th Canberra. I'm sitting here staring at all of them as I clack away at the keyboard at 7am.

What I think we're seeing is a transition in the culture. Back in the day, I'd build a single 72nd scale fighter every 3-4 days, then it was a single 48th plane every other week, now it's a 32nd aircraft (under normal circumstances) every 3-4 weeks.

As I get older, I get less impatient with getting things done, and I'm paying more attention to the quality of the build. 

I look at a kit like the new Tiffie, and I'm already thinking 2 solid months of work to create a superlative model. If I were to break it down into dollars-per-hour, it's probably less than a comparable amount of 32nd scale work.

Not to mention, it's just sooooooo damned sexy....such a beautiful aircraft, just something about it.

J

Edited by Jeff Herne

Not to mention, it's just sooooooo damned sexy....such a beautiful aircraft, just something about it.

J

Speaking of which, I just now stumbled upon this. Never heard of it before, but I may order one just to see what's what.

I'd be all over a Sea Fury like a cheap suit, ditto a Griffon Spit, Seafire 47 & DH Hornet.

i've long since given up worrying about where to put things once built, probably because I'm such a slow builder these days the issue doesn't arise too often.  :D

I want a 1/12th scale P-47 Razorback with resin and p/e where appropriate and 100 decal options from all theaters. Pilot and ground crew figures, footlocker, pinup posters, and a Quonset hut with a coal stove... and some marsden matting. And a control tower and hangar... oh hell, let's make it all 1:1.