The old Mosquito Restoration Project

Chris Wimmer

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello again! Think it's time for an update- definately...   :)

Let's begin here: Working on the radiators by using wire screen taken from a water filter and pieces of very nicely structured metal foil I've bought at the supermarket around the corner:

IMG_0314_zps97d3a80e.jpg

IMG_0312_zpsd4b0f4dd.jpg

IMG_0291_zps36020e5b.jpg

IMG_0294_zps5456e0b4.jpg

Added rods made of copper wire:

IMG_0303_zps8ed361f2.jpg

Ok folks, and what you see now is the reason why I haven't posted here for a couple of weeks. I remember Kev saying that you always make two steps forward and then one back. I think he was absolutely right. I couldn't wait to see it painted and did a free-hand paintjob that I don't like very much now. And when the paint was on I found that some areas look good as long as you don't look too close. A stray drop of CA-glue again forced me to sand down two of the cowling fasteners.

IMG_0305_zps321d3af9.jpg

Some detail work in the radiator area:

IMG_0301_zps7d9eec91.jpg

The painted section...

IMG_0310_zpscf8c4985.jpg

IMG_0309_zpsff6617fd.jpg

...and a display cabinet test-fit:

IMG_0311_zps93ce6bd3.jpg

Will turn back to the gear-bays now. After finishing these I will glue the wings to the fuselage and paint the whole thing again, using blu-tack this time!

Thanks for your interest

Chris   :)

Edited by Chris Wimmer

Hi Chris,

just a question or 2 to bring to this awesome project, did you remove the moulded spar caps on the mainplane. The test shots of the HK Mossie I saw at Telford showed they followed Revell's mistake and moulded them in place. if these were scaled up on a real Mossie they would have been real drag inducers. Also I have read that the Revell Mossie's fin was inaccurate in outline, have you noticed it from your research or your observations during your visit to G.B.

Finally, Paragon did some excellent after market accessories including canopies in 1/32 for this kit. I believe Hannants may have some in stock.

Great work on your project and I look forward to seeing this "Phoenix" rise again.

Bob

Hello Chris,

Sorry for being late to your party, so a belated welcome to LSP from me. I do not know how this thread slipped below my radar, but it is awesome (just my kind of model building). I look forward to seeing this project completed, as, like you, I also love the challenge or resurrecting old discarded kits - I find the effort both rewarding and worth it in the end.

Regards

Derek

Thanks to everybody for the kind words, and welcome to my "party" Derek.  I really enjoy my build most of the time (and sometimes wish nothing but smashing the whole thing to the wall). :)

Bob, regarding to your questions:

Yes, I have sanded the spar caps off the wings. Many thanks for reminding me, cause I forgot to scribe them! Let's have a look at the real thing at RAF Museum Hendon. Also note the gap between wing and fuselage:

hendon_wing_zps429bff4e.jpg

And I found you're absolutely right with the tail fin. The rudder is wrong in shape on the Revell model! And I haven't noticed at all...    :BANGHEAD2:

tails_zpsef4043a4.jpg

This would have been quite easy to fix in an earlier state of the build. Remembering the way I fixed the rudder to the fin I'm afraid it's a rather painful repair, both to me and the model. I will think about it. Anyway I have to hurry up now! I will be outdated in January, with the release of HK's Mossie bomber. What a kit! Everything is there :unsure: :wacko: (except the radiator pipes  :P :rolleyes:)

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/3096-132-mosquito-bomber-sprue-shots/

All right, gonna roll up my sleeves...

Chris

IMG_0316_zpsc5d1dedc.jpg

IMG_0317_zpsc94d7b47.jpg

IMG_0330_zps5379a9de.jpg

Edited by Chris Wimmer

Hi again Chris'

many thanks for answering my questions. I was pleased you posted the pics of the Mossie and compared the fin (at least it confirmed what I had read about it). I have a few Revell Mossies in the pending tray along with numerous Paragon accessories including the afore mentioned canopy. When time permits I will surely get round to building them (along with the Airfix 1/24 kit). I retire (hopefully) in 9 years 6 months  and 26 days ( if this or the next government lets me,at 66) then I will hopefully get round to kit bashing with a vengeance (after I have build an extension to hangar them in).

I, like most modellers, will have to live until at least 150 to be able to build what I have amassed (here's hoping) :).

Keep up with the great work you are doing so far,

cheers,

Bob.

Hello again, time for another update!   :) 

Have joined the wings to the fuselage now. Wow, that's a complete new feeling! What I can say at this point is that my model is about to turn into a bumblebee-weight mosquito! Nevertheless I couldn't resist adding more detail to the gearbays:

IMG_0351_zpsc72c4265.jpg

IMG_0340_zps43cfafa0.jpg

IMG_0332_zpsc780362e.jpg

IMG_0352_zps719de630.jpg

IMG_0353_zps5f3c05bb.jpg

IMG_0354_zpsc5b39a7d.jpg

Still looking quite rudimentary, but these pieces of plastic sheet are becoming to be the new flaps:

IMG_0364_zpsbdca2030.jpg

Img_3198a_zps479e8e59.jpg

When the flaps are attached to the wings, I will complete the paintjob. Still desperately looking for a wheel set...

Thanks for your interest

Chris