Is Resin Toxic?

John F Smith

They had information as early as the 1930's.  Check this link on the History of asbestos.

I especially like this part

This is why Aussies don't like James Hardie...just need to delay long enough for anyone afflicted to die.  Unfathomable behaviour by intelligent wealthy people in a modern world. 

Why are you surprised? Some of the Nazis were intelligent wealthy people.

I'm not using the putty right at the moment. Do think it would be wise for me to check if I am pregnant anyway, just in case?

Tim

I'm reasonably sure you're not pregnant; you're too old.  I know this because I was too old to be pregnant way back when I was your age.

And, I also wanted to admonish you that it's not nice to make me snort rum out of my nose because this was my reaction when I read about your concern over being "in a family way".

Edited by John F Smith

John, so sorry I made you waste your rum. I owe you a drink. I Was worried by what I had read on this thread, as one has been brought up to believe everything you read on the Interweb. I was about to get a pregnancy testing kit, but I won't bother now.

Tim

Gents, there are studies and reports that will say almost anything, and very few of us here are qualified to make a distinction about one or the other. Let's focus the discussion on being careful and prudent in how we handle non-natural materials. It's better IMO to err on the side of caution when handling CA glue fumes or resin dust. You're free to use in a confined space and not wear a dust mask if you choose, but I don't think it helps us to pooh-pooh the health risks since in many cases, we just don't know.

No, best to stick to natural materials. Mahogany, perhaps. Anyone ever get a splinter of that in their finger? I know someone who did, and now he can only count to nine.... Just cos it is natural, doesn't mean it won't do its very best to kill you.

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

We should by all means have a discussion regarding "safe" use of the various materials with which we pursue our hobby. Most of it would fall under common sense. Some materials though, have to be treated somewhat more carefully, but to each their own. Most of us will also agree that governmental regs are usually pretty humorous, not that they intend to be.

I have gotton a a Mahog splinter, but got it out within the recommended one day. Fiberglass is worser. 

Though I didn't read through the entire thread (lacking time!), here are some points I'd make:

Your basic polyurethane casting resin dust is not toxic but can be an irritant and can cause some people allergic reactions.

Having talked with several tech reps through the years, cured resin is not toxic but don't cast yourself a fancy beer stein to drink out of. Particularly don't cast yourself a custom coffee cup (I prototyped several coffee mugs years ago. Hot liquid will draw out more of the nasty juices than cold liquid) (On a side note, food safe resins do exist (soy-based IIRC) but don't hold up well to heat)

California regulations are ridiculous.

MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) list the UNCURED properties of the separate components of the resin.

AFAIK, MSDS are not available for the cured product. (None that I've ever seen).

Separate parts A and B are toxic. Don't drink them! You will at least get very sick. likely have long term health problems and might even die.

Un-mixed resins tend to have a low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) rating. Meaning that they don't evaporate quickly and overwhelm you with fumes. They do give off toxic fumes though so use good ventilation while casting.

Mixed resin, while still liquid, is VERY toxic. Don't drink it! I heard a tale of a guy that mistakenly took a big swig of the stuff and died within minutes (don't know if it's true, but I wouldn't doubt the consequences).

Sanding resin, no problem (use a dust mask for safety).

Burning resin, BAD!

Toxic gasses are given off including Hydrogen Cyanide (Very bad!).

If you are using a high speed cutter, go slowly. If you are creating smoke, not dust, you are burning the stuff and creating a hazard. Use a respirator if you have any doubts.

It's better IMO to err on the side of caution when handling CA glue fumes or resin dust.

+100

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks, Chris for chiming in......

I think that you have enumerated here what was in the very first post of this thread.  Resin dust is NOT toxic, but use reasonable precautions because it can be irritating...... wear a dust mask, wear safety glasses, and work in a well ventilated environment.  These are the things that the vast majority of us encounter as resin products "users", as opposed to resin products manufacturers which was covered very well in the other data you presented about working with it before it's mixed and cured.  I sure learned a lot!

No, best to stick to natural materials. Mahogany, perhaps. Anyone ever get a splinter of that in their finger? I know someone who did, and now he can only count to nine....

Wow, lost ten toes, a finger, and his manhood; that's really not fair, when you think I can count to 21. :whistle: