Is Resin Toxic?

John F Smith

I didn't think modeling would ever kill me...I kinda figured the double cheeseburgers and fries would get to me before the stuff in my shop did.

Good stuff guys.

Edited by Jeff Herne

Thank you, everyone, for contributing to this topic.  I know I've learned a lot from the responses here, and every little bit helps (and had a couple of good laughs; I'm still smiling about coughing up an ejection seat!)

Frank, thanks so much for posting your fascinating and informative article.  I think it really added a lot to this thread.

Hey, Matt, if you're going to break the habit of eating your casting blocks, can I have them?  I don't know about you, but I like mine with peanut butter and banana chunks on them.   :popcorn:

John

Guest Peterpools

What won't kill or harm us today, might be different tomorrow. As a kid, we drank water in the summer from a garden hose and there was no such thing as "Bottle Water". Now it's not safe to even drink tape water from the water authority or is it? I'm from the old school and you can make statistics say anything you want. Best rule of thumb; wear a mask, use a spray booth if possible and wash down the work area periodically. You just never know..

Peter :hmmm:

Interesting and sounds commonsense. 

Thanks.

I like wet sanding.  Often faster as the abrasive remains clear of crud

Matty

I agree, with a bowl of water. Licking the emery paper probably is potentially hazardous.

Tim, SS putty contains toluene, which is allegedly harmful to pregnant people etc - again, no licking is advisable, although in that instance it's the vapours.

Just used half a tube of the stuff on a Trumpeter MiG-21 fuselage, and I'm still ok(ish)

Tony

What won't kill or harm us today, might be different tomorrow. As a kid, we drank water in the summer from a garden hose and there was no such thing as "Bottle Water". Now it's not safe to even drink tape water from the water authority or is it?

Peter :hmmm:

By and large water from the tap or garden hose is fine.  Bottled water is horrifically expensive and in some towns in Aus has earnt itself a ban for being so ecologically unsound...and vain. It was a fond part of my childhood as well to take a drink from a garden tap or hose.  Kids prob wouldn't do it today for fear of being admonished for entering someone elses property. 

I've even been known to simply dip my head into a mountain stream thats running and clear and take a sip or two.

Unless someones dumping chemicals, you'll puke if its no good. :evil_laugh:

I collect cloud juice when it falls on my roof and drink that.

Matty

I have been working with all this stuff since 1942. Back then there were no precautions taken. Just do not drink the paint. or "dope" or "banana oil". It'll probably kill you but worse, you would be wasting valuable modeling stuff.

The above report by Mr. Mitchell pretty much covered most everything except for polyester resin. You find that often in bondo like putties. Try to keep the wet stuff off your skin. The bad parts will be absorbed into you body through osmosis and processes like that which were invented by forward thinking anti-democratic scientists when they invented all this stuff for communism and Mother Russia back in the 1890's.

I do not like wearing a mask because it interferes with my smoking illegal substances (OK for medicinal purposes) and drinking of alcoholic beverages while I am making the model. What I do is have a small fan blowing the fumes and dust stuff away from me at all times. Or I just do not breathe while sanding. The problem with not breathing is that results in passing out from oxygen deprivation and falling off the chair onto the model which has fallen before me. But that saves money because I have to spend so much time rebuilding the smashed pieces I do not have time to buy more models.

Really, keep your hands off the liquids! Do not inhale the fumes and the dust. Do not take any chances. At the very least have a fan blowing the stuff away from your face so you do not inhale anything.

You guys with your spray guns. Do you really enjoy coating your lungs with all that paint and thinners you use? At the minimum a half-face mask will allow you to live longer. A spray booth with an active device that will suck the dirty air out of it before you you have the chance to breath it in is very good.

Example of liquid fun. When fiberglass first came out the resin of choice was often polyester resin as it was 1/4 the cost of epoxy. There was an artist who was dipping cloth into the resin and hanging it on frames in abstract patterns. After a length of time he was getting more and more irritable and nasty to everyone, including his students. So he goes to a doctor who examines him and says if he keeps on working the resin like he was he would be dead in six months. It seems that he was dipping his bare hands and arms into the buckets of resin along with the cloth. No one ever claimed that professors were smart, only that they could memorize meaningless facts and write dull reports better than the average plumber. So the guy quit making his fiberglass sculpture and lived longer.

Really, with all these chemicals take precautions, protect yourself.

This message was endorsed by those wonderful people who brought you Agent Orange.

Stephen

Plus: what did they first say about asbestos? Not harmful....right. 

They had information as early as the 1930's.  Check this link on the History of asbestos.

I especially like this part

The conduct of the asbestos companies is especially egregious, however, because the victims were largely exploited workers who were unaware of the serious health risks they were exposed to on a daily basis.

This is why Aussies don't like James Hardie...just need to delay long enough for anyone afflicted to die.  Unfathomable behaviour by intelligent wealthy people in a modern world. 

In this age when we are deluged with dire warnings from legions of sanctimonious, self-proclaimed experts who insist that we are in mortal peril from all the toxic substances that surround us, I think it's interesting to take note of my late father.  He was a farmer and for most of his life he handled toxic chemicals like DDT, organic phosphate insect sprays, defoliants, painted barns with a spray gun, never wore a mask, gloves or a respirator, smoked until he was in his mid-forties, ate bacon and eggs and toast drenched in butter every morning for breakfast, loved to eat at McDonalds and Burger King and had nothing but contempt for vegetarians.  Just before he died of prostate cancer at the age of 96, his doctor told him he had the cardiovascular system of a man half his age.

My philosophy is no matter how careful you are, nobody gets out of life alive, so enjoy it while you can.

Jerry Peterson 

I agree, with a bowl of water. Licking the emery paper probably is potentially hazardous.

Tim, SS putty contains toluene, which is allegedly harmful to pregnant people etc - again, no licking is advisable, although in that instance it's the vapours.

Just used half a tube of the stuff on a Trumpeter MiG-21 fuselage, and I'm still ok(ish)

Tony

I'm not using the putty right at the moment. Do think it would be wise for me to check if I am pregnant anyway, just in case?

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow