New kits for 2014/15

Guest Vulcan32

Can I just ask what company MRC is? Don't recognise that name

They've actually been around for decades, and the initials originally stood for Model Rectifier Company Corporation, and may still for all I know. I think they're bigger in RC than anything else, but I'm not that familiar with them.

Kev

Edited by LSP_Kevin

Blimey mate, how big is your mantlepiece!  :-D

Back in the late 1930's there were large scale warship kits available in wood. They did not make plastic model kits back then so please do not try to compare them. These were craftsman kits where if you wanted an extra part you carved it out of wood or made it out of metal yourself.

One was a 36 inch long model of the Battleship Texas. This kit was marketed by the Popular Science magazine. Somewhere around the house I have an ad for it from the magazine. I once got a built up one in a glass case in a trade deal. We kept it on the breakfront in my house (I have a very tolerant wife) for many years. Eventually when my fortunes ebbed and I needed cash I sold it.

Another old, large wood ship kit was the 36 inch model of the aircraft carrier Lexington/Saratoga. This kit was a hollow model with watertight bulkheads, planked flight deck, scale details, three different aircraft types, three tubes of glue, metal tubing, sheets and wires, varnish for the hull and deck, four bottlers of paint, paint brushes, sand paper, knives for cutting and other goodies. They did not give the price but if you wanted to build it without the kit the plans cost $6.95. I have an ad from the Jan. 1946 Model Airplane News magazine for this model.

My point is that people are always making large size models of airlines, ships, tanks, fire engines, whatever. If a modeler has the space he will make the model he wants. Even if he does not have the space he will build it if he really wants it. Where we keep these built models depends on the tolerance of our spouses. Some of us are lucky and some of are not. Do you remember that baseball movie “Field of Dreams†made in 1989 where the key line was "If you build it they will come?" With models and wives we can rephrase it in some cases to: “If you build it she will leave."

By the way, I have a pal who is a long time radio control model airplane guy. He and his second wife bought a house with a big basement and built on an acre of land. His entire basement is devoted to his office (he is an engineer) and his model airplane workshop. His other hobby is restoring cars. So he had a two car garage built on the property, about 50 feet from his house.

His wife never objects to what he does. She is his second wife.

Stephen

Yep, MRC and Academy have had a fairly long relationship as far as I can remember.

MRC was the United States Distributor for Tamiya, Nitto and Aoshima Japanese model companies. If you look at  a number of kits from 40-50 years ago you can see their little black sticker covering part of the end flap with their own kit number. If you go to IPMS shows look at the dealers tables and you usually can see some of these old kits. I have not kept up with Academy/MRC.

Stephen

Edited by ssculptor

Yes, but $300 as compared to $800 is a considerable difference, at least to me.

Heck! I didn't realise that their kit was THAT expensive, well in that case we're all big winners I think. 

Still have to get the 1/16 Panda Hobby Panzer 1 from last year, just can't seem to catch up with all these releases these days?  

A 1/16 Mk V Panther would also be very nice too!!! 

Hmmm...I see Trumpeter has (once again) listed a 1/24 scale FW 190a on their to-be-released list. Ever the optimist, I (once again) find myself hoping it will happen--even though Trump kits tend to have unexplainable accuracy issues (for example, why/how the h*ll did they put CURVED panel lines on their FW 190D wings???). Here's my first question: Why would a kit manufacturer repeatedly announce they are going to release a kit, but then not release it? The only answers I can come up with are to create a buzz or assess the popularity/"sellability" of the kit. Either of these reasons seem odd to me--especially in regards to a 1/24 FW 190a kit. From what I can tell, FW 190a's are popular in any scale; 1/24 scale kits are growing in popularity and--to me, the kicker--in Trumpeter's case, they clearly have made a commitment to WWII kits in this scale (look at all of their Me 109's)...

Does anyone know why they do this? Do they already have the molds cut? Test shots?

I built the Airfix kit years ago and have two more in my stash that keep asking me to build them...What should I tell them???

Clearly I am in need of psychotherapy...

Greg

I think Trumpeter may be like tomcats pi**ing on a bit of territory to mark it out as theirs, even if their returning there is 50/50.

What I want to know most is: what happened to the Trumpeter wood/resin mock-ups in 1/32 of the venerable Buccaneer and Jaguar?

I'm really surprised Revell-Germany haven't tackled a 1/32 Draken, but as far as 1/24 go it seems Airfix are on a roll and will doubtless satisfy half-inch-to-the-foot modellers with a great many more delights, such as the WW2 Typhoon.

Still tickled pink over the prospect of a 1/32 Lanc from HKM.

Tony

Really interested in the Trump 1/24 FW-190.  Just hope Trump doesn't make a botch of it the way they have with some of their other 1/24 offerings.  Had a go at the old Airfix kit when it first came out many years ago.  I liked it but ran into fit problems, especially with the engine cowling.  Finally gave up on it and sold the unfinished kit to a friend.   Now if Airfix would just come out with an updated and improved version of their FW-190 with the detail level of the Typhoon, they'd have a winner on their hands, in my opinion. 

Jerry Peterson

• 1 year later...

Well at the risk of being drummed of the LSP fraternity , its the 200th scale Hood I want from that list .. 

As for the 32nd Trumpeter  releases , If , and as always iys a big If , the devastator actually appears this year , then I think we'll all be pretty chipper!

As for a 1/18th Harrier - eek! -

I just had the same thought pattern. The 1/16 88mm look great to me and ah... The Devastator.

Rick