What ever happened to the 1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J/Ja release?

Guest TimC

I don't have the link to the thread but somewhere here there is a topic about the subject kit release this year. So far, I've not heard/seen anything from Hasegawa that even remotely suggests that an N1K2-J/Ja is coming or is even in the works. I wonder if someone photoshopped a Hasegawa release flyer and "took a few liberties" with the releases therein? I found the link to the image I remember... Has anybody any further information or knows whether or not this kit is actually being developed?

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/news/img_5494_1353229703_A79KbgRCUAAnGIq.jpg.html

I'd love to see that just for the potential for a Rex conversion.

Sorry to possibly burst your bubble, Mike, but, IIRC, the Hase kit will be an N1K2, and a Rex conversion would require an N1K1.

Ive got the mid-wing George and the SB Rex conversion.....................that old Revell kit is actually not too bad at all. Pretty decent kit for its age. Its just the SB Rex conversion that is going to need some TLC.

Ive got the mid-wing George and the SB Rex conversion.....................that old Revell kit is actually not too bad at all. Pretty decent kit for its age. Its just the SB Rex conversion that is going to need some TLC.

I'm not familiar with the SB Rex conversion. Was that resin or vacuform? I have a vacuform conversion kit that was by either Combat or ID models. But I have not seen anything in resin.

Also, wasn't the N1K1 kit issued already by other Japanese companies? So is it possible that Hasegawa's is a rehash of those old molds? Since I already have the N1K1 I certainly will not buy Hasegawa's. I really like the old Hasegawa who issued so many interesting 1/32 kits, like the 1920-30's US biplanes. I figure the old guys who ran the company back thenhave retired and the next generation has taken over and after having a love affair with WW2 German aircraft have returned to Japanese WW2 planes. Maybe a Val and Kate could be in the future? Hmmmmmm?

Stephen

Stephen,

The Scratchbuilders REX conversion is resin. I picked up mine on auction a few years back; I have no idea how difficult they are to find. The Revell George is the only N1K1 kit, as well. Swallow/Tomy/Doyusha put out a kit of the N1K2 - nice recessed panel lines, with the terrible cockpit.

Bill

I'm not familiar with the SB Rex conversion. Was that resin or vacuform? I have a vacuform conversion kit that was by either Combat or ID models. But I have not seen anything in resin.

Also, wasn't the N1K1 kit issued already by other Japanese companies? So is it possible that Hasegawa's is a rehash of those old molds? Since I already have the N1K1 I certainly will not buy Hasegawa's. I really like the old Hasegawa who issued so many interesting 1/32 kits, like the 1920-30's US biplanes. I figure the old guys who ran the company back thenhave retired and the next generation has taken over and after having a love affair with WW2 German aircraft have returned to Japanese WW2 planes. Maybe a Val and Kate could be in the future? Hmmmmmm?

Stephen

*EDIT* I see Bill beat me to the punch!

Hi, Stephen!

Actually, the old molds (Tomy/Doyusha/Swallow) are of the N1K2. The exterior of that kit is actually pretty nice, in my opinion. However, it was designed with motorization in mind and, therefore, has no cockpit (that's where the battery compartment was). While I'm sure it's not impossible, I just don't see Hasegawa doing a repop of that kit. I held on to the Swallow boxing of that kit for quite a few years, hoping that someone would come out with a cockpit for it and I even had fantasies of making my own, but never got around to it. For someone who is willing to either live without the cockpit, or scratchbuild their own, the old kit is still a good option. However, I think that the way kits and the market have progressed, we are probably due for a new one. Granted, it will be at a higher cost, for sure.

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Stephen

Did you not see a passing comment to ZM doing a Val and Kate sometime in the hopefully near future?