1/32nd scale Dh89 master

GuildAero

• 3 months later...

Well, what do you know, I've finally been able to get a password and get back on here!  I had given up.

We are now very close to finishing the master for this baby.

I am literally finishing off the little bits and bobs.  Wheel and tyre, cockpit details, seat cushions, etc.(Done)

Interplane struts (with the help of a fiddly jig because I can't glue anything together!) are now done in brass after filing feet of brass strip to the right aerofoil sections!

Pictures later. The sun's out, so I'll take some this afternoon.

I've even ordered wee zip lok bags to put it all in ready to send off, so you know it's close now<G>

Thanks for your kind thoughts.  Sometimes life catches up with us and sticks a spanner in the works for a while.

Cheers,

Martin

Edited to say....Hubert, could you e-mail me your current address please?

Edited by GuildAero

Here are the current pictures of some of the fiddly bits.

020_zpsqzaozsd2.jpg021_zps3azgeqfm.jpg022_zps31h2oz9g.jpgThe big chunk of brass is what the built up control column is attached to.  Once the centre and "wheel" are added it will be separated, the lowest part being the sculpted leather garter around the lower portion of the column where it meets the floor.

The little arcs of brass are the upper and lower aileron mechanisms, or all you can see of them, anyway.

The seat back IS fully detailed with Art Deco fan pattern and the pleated pocket on the back, but wouldn't show on the photo.  nice in a way, that we've have so much sun on a November day to blow out the detail!  Also seen is the rim of the trim wheel, awaiting its spokes.

The escape hatch is also done in brass and is sitting on the port fuse. half roof.

The front headlight unit is just next to the nose section.

Front of front cylinder just seen next the nacelle, with the rim round the hole.

I think that and a lot of unseen slogging to get the rib tapes and final fits and details correct  just about brings us up to date.

Cheers,

Martin

Thanks for the welcome back, Iain.  It's been a while, I must say.

I haven't stopped, but have been clearing decks of a lot of stuff, had a major clear out of stuff due to loss of storage, which meant I had to sell my old cars and find another hobby, separate from masters.

I make a point of not working weekends and boy can life fill those up for you!

Winter sees me huddling up with scenic work, but come summer I need something outside. I tried model flying.  Too expensive and seasonal, so I've dug out a couple of vintage model yachts to work on when Mrs. Weekend gives me a moment!  And when I can work out the difference twixt a gybe and a lee helm!

Cheers,

Martin

Love it !

The plan is to have some 3D printed parts, such as the seat frames, plan B being some PE frames, but real tubes would be so much better. Don't worry about the trim-wheel spokes, Martin, this is something I can tackle as well ;) ... Ditto for the control wheel ...

When I get the masters, I will design the canopy, hopefully to be cast transparent resin, with pan B female vac-forming.

Time to think about some schemes for the kit. Your inputs are welcome, gentlemen. There are so many to choose from. I am personally not a fan of a Dominie scheme (me and camoed aircrafts ;) ), but I suspect some would want one in the box...

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Great to see this progress, I was wondering how this was coming together.

Hmmm, I have some scheme ideas I will post later.

Awesome project Martin & Hubert. I'm thinking I might have to get one now...

Cheers and great to see you back!

Anthony

Well, it's nice to get things cranked up again.  Glad you like the bits, gents.

My vote for schemes would always be the AA first, then Hillman Airways as they used to fly from Romford, where I was born and grew up and which became a golf club of which my Uncle was steward for many years!  But that's just selfish.

Dominies had many small differences, so I'd be careful of cammo schemes.  But a transkit could be in the future?  Over to you, on that one, Hubert.

Hubert, I think if you can do the spokes of the trim wheel and the control wheel, you would be best doing the whole wheel as it would support the 3D process by tying the rim in with the spokes.  I don't know much about 3D printing, but I do know it likes a bit of support (don't we all?<G>)

Thanks Anthony.  I really think you should treat yourself to one, but then, I'm biased.

I can only say that although I've done my best with this master, if Hubert can augment it with the upper end quality 3D or maybe SLS that he is considering and has tried out on the Mystery Ship job, it will be lifted to quite a level.  Even a Luddite like me will acknowledge that he who can afford to spend on high end 3D can kick we chisel wavers into touch.

Cheers,

Martin

Well, it's nice to get things cranked up again.  Glad you like the bits, gents.

Dominies had many small differences, so I'd be careful of cammo schemes.  But a transkit could be in the future?  Over to you, on that one, Hubert.

Hubert, I think if you can do the spokes of the trim wheel and the control wheel, you would be best doing the whole wheel as it would support the 3D process by tying the rim in with the spokes.  I don't know much about 3D printing, but I do know it likes a bit of support (don't we all?<G>)

Cheers,

Martin

Agreed, I'll design the whole wheels, Martin.

I have looked at the Dominies. My concern was how different the interior was from the standard civilian airframes. Apparently there were some which were just identical, and I'd choose one of those. I frankly don't think there is enough demand out there to justify a conversion to a "special" Dominie (notwithstanding the fact that I still have to find period pics of the fittings of the inside of a Dominie, in spite of the extensive library and pics' collection I have accumulated)

Hubert

The centre of the control wheel is a double cylinder from which the "horns" grow, but I'm sure it'll prove no problem.  I have designed the column (three rods) to receive that cylinder shape, so maybe you could 3D the wheel then glue it on to cast the whole thing as one.

It looks like you could just put in a set of Dominie decals.  

I picked up only recently an "Aeroplane" Magazine which has some Dominie interior shots.  I'll send it with the final model.

Cheers,

Martin

Thanks, Kev, no I just abandoned forums for a while, but the irony was that I couldn't get back on this when wanted to as I couldn't get a new password, having forgotten my original.  Still can't get on britmodeller for the same reason.  I've had a new PC since then and that saw me off any forums/groups I was on, most of which, to be honest, I was glad to be rid of, but this one has always seemed to me to be the nicest bunch of people and something of a conduit to Hubert.

Cheers,

Martin