1/32nd scale Dh89 master

GuildAero

Hubert, that photo was so big that it failed to load completely and then went to a "broken photo symbol, but what I saw looks good. I look forward to getting it soon.

For followers' information, this will go on the masters for detail. There will be other p/e with the kit to add more!

Cheers,

Martin

Martin, I went to the museum in Brussels yesterday and took the photos and measurements you requested. I've put them in LSP Discussion !

I hope the info is helpful for your build. If you need anything else, just ask away!

Nic

• 4 weeks later...

Can't wait to see progresss on this one. Since I've been close to the aircraft and been talking to the people that restored it here in Brussels, I've started to like a lot! Should be pretty big once it is done, no?

Nic

Been a while what with a death in the family and other things, but here is the start of placing Hubert's TINY bits of photo-etch to the master. Here I have made two resin castings from the original upper nacelle master to make them left and right hand because of the interplane struts and wires.

20130819_192153-1_zps2e74383c.jpgTake no notice of my many marks. I know what I'm doing! I also have to reduce the bumps on top. The re-inforcing surround to the fuel filler hole is now on each. Next I will engrave the various holes for wires and struts, Obviously no quick resin cast is perfect, so there is a lot of one shot cellulose filler in the various pits and scratches.

Here we have one of the lower nacelle/trouser units, also handed and so cast again from the original master and filled/opened up for a strut fixing aperture. You can see how this fits a socket in the wing underside.

20130819_192255-1_zpsb1af68f1.jpgJust to show off the fit of these parts, here it is just pushed into place and NOT in any way glued, suspended from the wing.

20130819_192222-1_zps8ef2f7ac.jpg

Many other little bits and bobs done, but more pics. when my son can take some more on his amazing smart phone!!

Cheers,

Martin

Thanks, guys. The port top nacelle cover has now been fully worked with piano hinges, hinge pins and pin retention brackets and primed. But it shows up some surface flaws, so you get pics tomorrow when I've re-sanded it and repainted. I experimented with self-etch primer through the Paasche Model H airbrush and it worked fine. These little parts won't take the pressure from the spray-gun, but will tolerate 15psi from the airbrush compressor.

Also marked and cut other wings, tailplane and elevator, fin and rudder.

Over the rear of the fuselage and base of the fin is a complex fairing. I would like to make it as one piece, but I feel it will never be possible to fit it in such a way that a lot of equally complex filling wouldn't be necessary. I have come to the conclusion that it would be best to do the fin as two halves, each moulded with the fuselage halves, like a plastic kit. My reasoning being that is much easier to glue together two simple halves and fill the easy joint down the spine of the fin and fairing than to ask the builder to finely fill a complex shape all around the fin and fuselage. So that's the way it's going.

Martin

Here's all the bits less the nose and fuselage halves (no room on the pic.!)

20130822_143219-1_zps21472122.jpgThe brass bits are the fairings (well, the start of them) that go down the horizontal portion of the engine cover and blend into the wings either side of the nacelle/wing joint. Brass will do this part with absolute crispness.

20130822_142910-1_zps848a93ee.jpgHere, the port upper nacelle half is seen finished and painted with self-etch through the Paasche Model H. It serves to show up every tiny scratch which will be rubbed down in tomorrow's natural light. The piano hinges either side are done and the "handed" nature done. There are also the ends of the hinge wire and their keeper brackets at the very back end. I really don't think you could get more detail on a master! The hinge wire is made of 0.3mm nickel silver TUBE!! Only because I'm still waiting for some wire that size. The plate that holds the piano hinge along the sides of the nacelle cover is rivetted at the correct spacing. That was made from 5 thou. styrene sheet.

The one fin will become two tomorrow as I shall be doing what I explained in the previous post and making the fin half and half between the two fuselage halves. O course there only needs to be one rudder.

The other wings are now filled where the pieces join as I don't have Ureol that big. Obviously the aerofoil section is yet to be filed into the three wing halves and the tail set.

The lower trouser sections of the aft nacelles are handed, but the actual engine section isn't, so only one of those needs to be made.

That's it for tonight folks.

Martin